Newbie attempts to install nvidia driver

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Newbie attempts to install nvidia driver

Postby epasal on Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:59 am

Hi, I am an absolute newbie who recently installed Linux Mint (dual boot with xp). I got my modem to dial but still cannot connect ( I just downloaded a fix that will hopefully solve the problem). My other problem is installing the nvidia driver. I have an nvidia GE Force 7300 card. I downloaded the driver from nvidia website. However, when I tgry to install it, it falshes the message "error, nvidia must be installed as root". I consulted some posts but they assume that I know 1) how to find the directory where the download is placed and 2) how to log-in as root and enter the appropriate commands. The truth is, I know none of these things. I only know the click and drag method of navigation and have no idea what a root is. Anybody here can give me a line by line guide? Thanks
epasal
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newbie attempts to install nvidia driver

Postby 900i on Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:17 am

Envy in the Daryna menu is used to install the Nvidia driver. I wouldn't recommend trying to install manually if you were a newbie.
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby epasal on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:32 am

I tried running envy but it says some files need to be installed first. Is this due to the fact that I am still working offline? (Am still trying to make my modem connect to the net)

By the way, thanks for the prompt response
epasal
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 900i on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:06 am

You need a net connection with mint as with other Linux distro's because there package managers need to connect to the repositories which are all online. Only distro's like Slackware and Debian have "disk sets" which allow you to work offline with all packages on DVD or CD.
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby epasal on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:13 am

Got its, thanks. Unfortunately, my modem problem is still unsolved.

I tried installing a modem fix but it had no effect. I get the attached screen capture. The modem dials and connects then disconnects. I checked the password and username a few times and it was accurate. The same password and username works in windows. Any idea what I did wrong?
Attachments
Screenshot-1.png
Screen capture
Screenshot-1.png (139.8 KiB) Viewed 489 times
epasal
Level 1
Level 1

Postby epasal on Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:31 pm

Am still waiting for an answer. In the meantime, I tried the gnome ppp but it does not even dial. with wvdial, I at can at least hear the modem dial and connect then immediately disconnects.

Any good samaritan out there?
epasal
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kynan on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:22 am

I've never ever set up a modem in linux but if i were to attempt to i would use the network manager rather than the command line because i wouldn't have a clue what commands to use...

Daryna > administration > network

then there should be a modem connection option highlight it and then goto properties. Now you should tick the box "enable this connection" and fill in all the data required in the box's including the username and password..

good luck with it, it's all just a guess on my behalf but this would be how i would go about doing it.
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Postby epasal on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:02 am

Thanks for the response but the problem is still unsolved. I did this step already the first time but got stumped in supplying the info particularly the "DNS" field and the "host" field. What does one write in there? I am using a prepaid internet card (one where you purchase a card with previously credited internet hours) and it seems to be designed for windows. Anyway, assuming I get to fill out all the required fields, how do I dial? I saw no button or check box for dialing.
epasal
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions