Cannot connect T61 with Mint to wireless ActionTec router...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Cannot connect T61 with Mint to wireless ActionTec router...

Postby Drema on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:19 pm

I am currently running a Thinkpad T61 with Mint Daryna, and It runs perfectly, connects to the internet fine and everything. Except recently I have moved in with my father's girlfriend, everytime I try to connect to their router the icon on the menubar goes green on my side, but then it sits there forever and doesn't get the green for full connection on the other end, and it just asks me the password again. I am sure it is not my machine because I connect perfectly fine to any other router I have used it on. I am sure that the password is correct, there are about 5 or 6 other laptops in this house who connect with the same password (all running Windows Vista), except for me the lonely guy with Linux. I'm tired of using my dad's laptop and I was wondering if anyone had any idea on how to fix this problem.

By the way, the router model is ActionTec M1424WR. If you need anymore information to help figure out the problem, I'll be glad to answer.

and sorry for being so noobish.
Drema
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cannot connect T61 with Mint to wireless ActionTec router...

Postby 900i on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:19 am

Is it WEP encryption?
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Drema on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:00 am

Yes
Drema
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 900i on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:29 am

Do not confuse 64/128bit Passkey/Phrase with 64/128bit Hexkey, the 1st is a word and the 2nd is a number. e.g. "mugwump" is a word and "A012FFD5" is a hex number. This is quite a common mistake when entering the network password. The Mint network monitor has 2 separate fields for the different types of WEP, make sure you are in the right box with the right type of key for your password.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Drema on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:54 pm

Well that seemed to help a bit, I was entering it in the wrong field. It was a hex code and I was putting it in the passphrase one.
Now when I click to connect to the router again, it remembers the password for me, except now when it's connecting it just hangs there and doesn't even give the green light for me like it did before.
Drema
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 900i on Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:18 am

Stumped :?
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby MagnusB on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:27 pm

Hex is [a-f], [1-9], ASCII is [a-z], [0-9] (is 0 in hex as well?). And if you got connected with the other method, I guess you had the right key setup, if you select hex and it is an ASCII key it won't connect. And what is your network card? And what protocol does the router broadcast (/b, /g, /n, /a, use wifi-radar for that)? It could be as simple as your card/driver does not support the broadcasted protocol...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Drema on Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:01 pm

Woot finally after a month of usin my dad's laptop I did it..

Source: http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi

1. sudo iwconfig (to see what the name of your card interface is
(let's say it's wlan0 for instance).
2. sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid galaxy (replace galaxy with your essid)
3. sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
4. sudo dhclient
Drema
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Drema on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:30 pm

Well that solution seemed to work for a while but now when I connect, it connects fine but then right after it connects and shows the connection status bars, they dissapear and it gives me that icon for ''No network connection''. Then I try again and it repeats, connects fine but drops the connection right after it is established.
Drema
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Drema on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:32 pm

Well it just connected fine again right now.. it seems a bit jumpy but ill check in if it comes up again
Drema
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions