Cannot Install and run Linux Mint from USB

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Cannot Install and run Linux Mint from USB

Postby ca.kushagra on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:21 am

I have no clue of Linux as i am trying it first time. I have followed the process http://www.pendriveapps.com for creating a portable Linux Mint bootable from usb. Now when i booted from the pen drive it went fine till it showed me a black screen similar to dos prompt...some error like:
/etc / resolv.conf : - no such file of directory.
no DHCPOFFER received
Undefined kernel key code for 214, 215, 216, 217

After that I waited and waited nothing happened...can u tell me what to do...to run it...in gui...any commands or tweaking required.
Last edited by ca.kushagra on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ca.kushagra
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install and run Linux Mint from USB

Postby freshandminty on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:27 am

you might want to take a look over here in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8780
seems they are having limited success at the moment. time will tell if they get it all worked out
freshandminty
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install and run Linux Mint from USB

Postby ca.kushagra on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:06 am

I read that but it is too much...and i want to simply install and boot mint from my usb....may be can you tell me the command i need to type to run in that black window.......
ca.kushagra
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cannot Install and run Linux Mint from USB

Postby craig_w on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:34 pm

did you use the instructions from this site?

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/10/31/usb-linux-mint-install-from-windows/

when i initially tried to install from usb i had a similar problem, but it turns out it was a bad download. i simply downloaded the .iso file using bit torrent and went through the whole process again (ie format the USB drive using the HP USB format tool and so on...)

Second time around it worked fine. Could well be a bad download or 'burn' (although i'm not sure this is the correct terminology when referring to a USB drive), but anyway, that's all I can suggest.

I have since installed LM this way on 2 other PCs without any problems. Not saying this will work for you, but maybe worth a try to eliminate those possibilities. Time consuming I know, but worth it in the end.
craig_w
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ca.kushagra on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:55 pm

but this iso is working fine when i boot from cd.....
ca.kushagra
Level 1
Level 1

Postby craig_w on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:43 pm

possibly an error when writing to the USB device. did you format beforehand using HPUSBFW.EXE? if you can boot from a CD, presumably on the same PC, then it would point to an issue with the USB drive.

like i say, could be barking up the wrong tree, but from experience the first port of call when having issues like this is to go back and try again. format the USB drive (FAT16), copy the data across again, make the USB device bootable (makeboot.bat) and give it another go. beyond that its hard to say, but this should definitely be the first thing you do.

after the initial problems, i regularly boot from a 1GB USB device without problems on 3 PCs now. i know this doesn't help you much, but it proves the process works i suppose.

failing that, maybe ask again and some of the more experienced people here might be able to assist.
craig_w
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions