Usb wifi key safety removal

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Usb wifi key safety removal

Postby Alethesnake on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:45 am

Hi guys,
good morning to all. This is my first post in this forum, I'm new to mint (codename Daryna, version with Gnome), pretty new to the linux world (exception made for troubled period with old distros of suse).

My problem is the following.
I have an usb wifi key (the notorious netgear wg111v2) that I've installed with ndiswrapper. It runs well but I'd like to know if there is a way to safetly remove it during a working session.
By looking at the /var/log/messages I didn't find a mount point for it, so I don't know how to unmount that key. I also tried to "brutally" remove it after a disconnection, but the system froze..

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Ale
Alethesnake
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Usb wifi key safety removal

Postby Husse on Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:47 pm

It should be possible just to remove it - does not hurt to stop it working first if possible
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Usb wifi key safety removal

Postby MagnusB on Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:37 pm

You safely remove flash disk because it is possible that if you remove it during a cycle or writing to the disk you can permanently damage the disk it self, or at best damage the stored data (but most of the time nothing happens). If you do not write to the USB accessory it (in most cases) safe to just pull the plug, just disconnect first :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions