password problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

password problem

Postby HyperDriveFX on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:03 pm

Everytime I try to log into linux mint on VMWare Workstation I go to enter my password witch i cleary entered as "111" I then type in my username and then my password and it never lets me in. How can I fix this, BTW this is the 3rd time this has happned I had to install it 3 Times.
HyperDriveFX
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: password problem

Postby cmost on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:06 pm

Can you please elaborate? Are you claiming that Mint locks you out? You're entering your password, however, you cannot log in? You should be able to reset your password by booting Mint in recovery mode (be careful!!! This is a root shell!!!) Type the following:

passwd <username> (enter a password)
reboot

You should be able to log in normally.

You shouldn't have to re-install the operating system just because you're locked out of your system. That's like a doctor shooting the patient to cure his disease. LOL! :mrgreen:
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions