how to setup internet connection?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

how to setup internet connection?

Postby adredz on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:22 pm

just subscribed an internet connection but i don't know how to setup my Mintbox. any help? :(
adredz
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: how to setup internet connection?

Postby artie on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:23 am

Hi,
I think we need a little more information, do you have just one computer and is it running just linux?
Do you have a router? Is it wireless? If your ISP (whomever you pay to get internet service) is Verizon or Comcast in the U.S. they do require that you have a windows machine and internet explorer. If you have a friend with a laptop that you can plug into your modem and that machine is running windows you should be able to setup your internet connection and once the connection is setup you will be able to plug any computer (Linux or wIndows) into your modem and get online.Once again please be more specific, this is a great community and the more information you give us the more ammunition we have to shoot down your problem :D
artie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Podness on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:19 am

Well it depends on which method you use to connect to the internet. The most simple way (as far as I know) is have a DSL connection while your modem is connected through your LAN card (usually the on board LAN card), it is also known as PPPoE. If this is the case, just type this in terminal

Code: Select all
sudo pppoeconf

Follow the instrunctions, next time you want to connect to the internet, you either click on the connection icon (down below near your desktop clock) and choose
"Dial Up Connections"-> "Connect to dsl provider via Modem" , and that's it, you're done.

You can also connect to the internet by the terminal

sudo pon dsl-provider

or disconnect
sudo poff dsl-provider
Podness
Level 1
Level 1

Postby adredz on Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:53 am

thanks for the reply..i have only one pc..i don't know really but i do have a modem that bridges my CPU to a cable wire connected to my internet provider. is this enough? and btw, i'm outside of U.S..
adredz
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions