installing mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
noshow 49

installing mint

Post by noshow 49 »

I have installed mint on a older computer. Asus p4pe motherboard, 512 mem, 2.4 p4, western digital 120 gig hard drive . This was built out of spare parts,and I have decieded that I love Mint. decided to use a seagate 250 pata and keep this machine. I cannot get mint to load on the seagate 250gig hard drive same disk I used for perfect install on Western digital. I have tried loading on a smaller partion of this hd I have reformated,then installed I have tried installing with internet up internet off. but install seems to have many broke links wont up date wont download etc.. All other componets have stayed the same. Any advise would be be great! Noshow, a newbie
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: installing mint

Post by Husse »

It's not easy to understand what you mean....
Is the problem that you can't install on a 250 GB disk but on a 120 GB disk both IDE?
This is because of the 130 GB limit problem (or 48 bit LBA problem or ext13....)
Your motherboard does not support disks larger than approx 130 GB I think it seems a bit to new for that but on the other hand I don't really remember when this was an issue.
A BIOS update may fix it, check the ASUS home page
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Can you verify that the seagate 250 is in good working condition? Jumpers set right?
noshow 49

Post by noshow 49 »

I have been looking at this as a problem with how I am setting up the partitions on the hard drive or if mint had limitations on partition size. I have not checked, but this is a 7 or 8 year old board! I had not thought about the bios haveing a limitation as to hard drive size! I will check this, but suspect that you are right about bios. I am sorry that I posted this and then have not been able to check it all day but life got in the way. Much thanks for the ideas Mike :oops:
Husse

Post by Husse »

Much thanks for the ideas Mike
Who's Mike? :mrgreen:
If the board is 7 or 8 years old it certainly does not support > 130 GB without a BIOS flash and perhaps not at all...

Return to “Beginner Questions”