Can't install anything from Software Manager [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
silvius_discipulus

Can't install anything from Software Manager [SOLVED]

Post by silvius_discipulus »

Hola mis compañeros de Mint,

I have a problem that's pretty easy to describe. When I try to install anything from Software Manager in LM12, nothing happens. The install button disappears after I click install, but no ongoing actions occur, it just sits there until I exit. The first thing I tried to install was the UbuntuOne client, just to see if it might work. Then I tried deluge, but it failed in the same way.
Last edited by silvius_discipulus on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Can't install anything from Software Manager

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Reinstall the Software Manager and see if it gets fixed.
Open terminal and type in "sudo apt-get install --reinstall mintinstall"
kitchen666

Post by kitchen666 »

This happens to me occasionally as well. It's pretty easy to fix. Close the Software Manager, open terminal -- type "sudo apt-get update" and hit enter. After that, things should work as expected.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

This happens to me occasionally as well. It's pretty easy to fix. Close the Software Manager, open terminal -- type "sudo apt-get update" and hit enter. After that, things should work as expected.
True lol, because the repos get updates regularly and if you don't update the packages list, it won't recognize where to get those packages from.
I'm surprised I didn't think of that :oops:
silvius_discipulus

Still no joy. So far I have tried these in terminal:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall mintinstall

sudo apt-get update

apt update && apt upgrade

All of them seemed to do stuff, but I checked after each one and trying to install from Software Manager still does nothing. Any other ideas?
silvius_discipulus

When I try running mintinstall from Terminal, this is what I see:
  • $ mintinstall
    /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:252: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
    def get_status_description(self, transaction):
    /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:260: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
    def get_role_description(self, transaction):
    add_categories took 27.501 ms
    build_matched_packages took 0.857 ms
    add_packages took 7746.050 ms
    add_reviews took 2484.693 ms
    /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:527: Warning: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
    wTree.get_widget("main_window").show_all()
    __init__ took 12820.071 ms
    show_category took 119.649 ms
Would that warning have anything to do with the problem I am experiencing?
silvius_discipulus

Re: Can't install anything from Software Manager [SOLVED]

After searching for lots of different keywords, I finally found the solution in an older thread on this forum. If you experience the same problem I did, do this in Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists /var/lib/apt/lists.old
sudo mkdir -p /var/lib/apt/lists/partial
sudo apt-get update 
And Software Manager will start responding again. Thank you to everyone who gave their input on fixing this. :)
paul

Post by paul »

Thanks for the continued effort with this problem.
This method did make the software manager hang around for a little longer than usual, but ultimately, still crashed.
Not "SOLVED" on this machine.
reizcy

Post by reizcy »

silvius_discipulus wrote:After searching for lots of different keywords, I finally found the solution in an older thread on this forum. If you experience the same problem I did, do this in Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists /var/lib/apt/lists.old
sudo mkdir -p /var/lib/apt/lists/partial
sudo apt-get update 
And Software Manager will start responding again. Thank you to everyone who gave their input on fixing this. :)

wow i really wanna say great thanks sir ,uh my problem are fixzzzzz now ^_^. god bless yaa
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

That's very cool. Locking the thread now because it's old as dirt.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”