RipCD to MP3- SOLVED!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

RipCD to MP3- SOLVED!

Postby andywest on Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:06 am

Are there any progs to rip CD's to MP3? I'm very new to all this Linux stuff and instalation of linux software seems a bit scary!! So if there is any MP3 software how is it installed into Mint?

Many thanks

Andy
Last edited by andywest on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andywest
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: RipCD to MP3

Postby Husse on Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:33 am

Sound Juicer can do it - there by default
Installing is not difficult, but different from Windows
Use the software portal or Synaptic
Synaptic is a little bit "scaring" as it installs "everything" not just programs, but has an excellent search - enter mp3 and you'll find 322 packages which is a lot... mark a package and enter rip in the text box and you find a ripper for mp3 ....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby andywest on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:27 pm

Ok i have Sound Juicer and have followed the instructions regarding editing the new profile as per the help files. I still don't see an option to select in the Output Format selection drop down menu. However it does say at the bottom of the help page "This profile uses the LAME MP3 encoder, so you will need to have the GStreamer LAME plugin installed." SO.. where do i get it and how do i install it?

Sorry for the daft questions but i'm bad enough with windows, let alone this stuff!!

I really don't understand the other suggestions you made regarding 'Synaptic' so for now i think i'll leave that!! :lol:

Cheers

Andy
andywest
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Wynne G Oldman on Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:12 pm

Go to "Synaptic Package Manager" and search for "Ubuntu Restricted Extras". Select the box and click "Apply". Now go to Sound Juicer, and under "preferences" you will now be able to select MP3 from the list of file formats that you can rip to.
Registered Linux User # 453200

Life is a series of problems, living is solving them.
Wynne G Oldman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby andywest on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:44 pm

Thats the fella!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!! WooHoo! 8) :P :mrgreen:
andywest
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Rob Brill on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:14 am

Wynne G Oldman wrote:Go to "Synaptic Package Manager" and search for "Ubuntu Restricted Extras". Select the box and click "Apply". Now go to Sound Juicer, and under "preferences" you will now be able to select MP3 from the list of file formats that you can rip to.

Hi,

Yep! Here i match the answer i was looking for but the software sound juicer only compresses
the tune to mp3 at 128kb/s although i prefer mp3 at 192kb/s. Well, i am satisfied

Roberto
Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions