Broadcom 4306 Wireless Card

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Broadcom 4306 Wireless Card

Postby ChiTown_Dutch on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:17 am

The problem I am having is that I don't know what it is I have done wrong in the installation of drivers for my wireless card.
I am running an Emachines M6811 with with a Broadcom 4306 wireless card and Wireless Router is using WPA

I went and followed the instructions at http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
Under restricted drivers it shows Firmware for Broadcom 43xx chipset family and that is enabled.
I went under Wireless Network Drivers, and but cant find a .inf file to install?

In my /lib/firmware folder I have all the firmware (.fw) and the file wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
I went under Network Settings and attempted both manual and roaming modes, with no luck in either.
Under device manager its showing my card...

Anyone have suggestions?
ChiTown_Dutch
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Broadcom 4306 Wireless Card

Postby MagnusB on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:30 am

Try ndiswrapper, or check with Synaptic if bcm43xx-fwcutter is installed. If firmware is missing, you probably have not installed :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Broadcom 4306 Wireless Card

Postby tucker4christ on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:34 am

bcm43xx did not work for me as well as ndiswrapper.
I was able to get online fine and access my network files but I could not use any security (WPA) with any measure of success. It was either really slow or would not establish a connection.

Check out these instructions for ndiswrapper: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper

This is what I used to set up in ndiswrapper.
tucker4christ
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions