LiveCD and Suspend

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

LiveCD and Suspend

Postby Cambo105 on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:31 am

Hi every one, this is my first post on the Mint forums. My name is Cameron and I am studying to be an electrical engineer. Although this is not my first experience with Linux (I've used Knoppix) I am still quite unexperienced. Enough about myself, on to my question.

While I am posting this message running LinuxMint 4.0, it is only from the LiveCD, I am just trying to check it out and make sure my hardware is compatible. Anyway, suspend does not work as of right now. When I try to wake up my computer it hangs on a screen with several lines of text (I do not recall what it said). Can I expect suspend to not work if I go ahead with a full install?

Aside from my sound not working after a restarting from windows and this suspend issue, LinuxMint seems to be working quite well.

Point of information, I am running a HP Pavalion dv2000 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. If any one needs more hardware specs, let me know.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Keep your stick on the ice.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Cambo105
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LiveCD and Suspend

Postby MagnusB on Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:33 am

In some cases suspend & hibernate works with proprietary graphics drivers installed (if you need ones). Can not guarantee anything though. dv2000 is just a series though, you could check google "hp dv2233ea ubuntu" or whatever your computer is called (usually labeled under the laptop, right below the serial for windoze). You could also add more keywords to that search, like suspend or something. And for the sound issue, does it not work in Mint or Windows? Best bet is to google "audio card name ubuntu", if you have an Intel HDA card, the fix is pretty easy, though I can't remember it right now..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Fred on Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:52 am

Cambo105,

I have to tell you, resume/suspend just doesn't work very good in Linux yet. To be honest I haven't seen a distro yet that handles this well and consistently across a wide cross section of hardware. Sometimes it works.... sometimes it doesn't. Not good I know, but it is getting better.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Cambo105 on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:46 am

It is an HP dv2550se, sadly google doesn't turn up too much. The sound will not work in linux mint if I am coming directly from a windows session (ie I am running windows, insert livecd and restart my computer booting linux). If I reboot Linux the sound works fine. Also my device manager list my audio device as Conexant High definition Audio. This doesn't seem to be my card, so how would I go about finding out what I have?

Cambo105
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MagnusB on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:47 am

in linux, open a terminal window, type:
Code: Select all
lspci
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Cambo105 on Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:21 am

I did some more digging and found a solution for my sound issue. It seems the solution for the time being is to just switch the laptop off then on again if the sound isn't working.

So, I should expect hibernate and suspend not to work if I install Mint 4.0?

Cambo105
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MagnusB on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:16 am

IT might or might not work, maybe with proper graphics driver.. Think it won't, then you won't be so disappointed if it doesn't :)
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Cambo105 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:44 pm

So does everyone who has a laptop that can't hibernate or suspend just shut down completely when they are away from their computer for an extended period of time? (read: 2+ hours)

Cambo105
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MagnusB on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:27 am

I do not hibernate, when I have the possibility to leave the computer for 2 hours, I have it plugged in.. I understand that people actually use hibernate and sleep functions, but I don't, so I have no idea whether or not it works on this laptop...
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions