ssh connection refused

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

ssh connection refused

Postby Verlager on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:58 pm

I change my computers a lot, reinstalling and trying new distros. I keep an Intel P4 box in the basement with the left panel off, and 4x 80 GB IDE HDs available. I simply switch the IDE cable to a different HD to experiment with another distro. The router keeps the same 192.169.1.106 number for the comp, regardless of which HD is used. But, the ssh function is always lost after a switch:

Code: Select all
rmack@recruit:~$ ssh 192.168.1.106
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.106 port 22: Connection refused

I think one of these files has to be refreshed or edited because I reinstalled LM 5.0 and new keys were generated. How can I do that?

Code: Select all
rmack@recruit:~$ ls .ssh
authorized_keys  id_dsa  id_dsa.pub  identity  identity.pub  known_hosts
Verlager
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ssh connection refused

Postby Husse on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:45 am

Apart from the answers you've received here
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ed-621526/
I can tell you that "Connection refused" means the port is closed, either because nothing is listening on that port, or because a firewall is blocking it... At least in many cases :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions