this question is for clem or husse if they dont mind answeri

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

this question is for clem or husse if they dont mind answeri

Postby pawpaw on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:26 pm

i was wondering if there is going to be a 64-bit version of mint or if your working on one i have a 64-bit operating system i tried 3 of sabayon's os pclinux os mandriva debian open susse and so far i love this the best its a nice os and doesnt seem to hog to much its light and fast i have a dual boot with windows vista and this version runs circles around it
pawpaw
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: this question is for clem or husse if they dont mind answeri

Postby Husse on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:31 pm

We have thought about it (obviously :))
The gain with 64 bits is not that great, even if it seems to be there even for 32-bit applications in some circumstances
But it has been postponed, to much work to do to make Elyssa into a long term release and also a enterprise edition.
But on the other hand we are evolving rapidly (watch out for news) so I'll definitely not say never...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby pawpaw on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:44 pm

thx husse for the answer i think one of the main problems with 64-bit is that it is not new but a lot of the software companies have not kept up with it i ran into a lot of problems with vista with some programs
pawpaw
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:14 pm

Correct - you mostly run 32 bit programs anyway and they have to be run in some kind of emulation (much like Windows runs 16 bit programs)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions