server is already active for display 0

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

server is already active for display 0

Postby #piritrom on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:07 pm

`m running LinuxMint 4.0 as my only OS [it is simple and it works out of the box, I´m newbie, is been hard but the choice is done] in a brand new machine, ICDuo2 T7250 2GB,nVidia GForce 8 series,PCI-E Intel,250GB SATA,...network wireless its fine so here its the base system.
I`ll be using the machine to edit video so next its dyne:bolic but here it comes the newbie trouble:
Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again.
well this happens what ever the distro i`m running as a base system and whatever the liveCD try to runnig dyne:bolic, ubuntu LTS, debiam,....So is it a default setting the trouble? what should i do?
found this: http://wiki.x.org/wiki/FAQErrorMessages#head-00b7778
but i`m afraid to do it becouse the comand rm-rf its involve and we`d been advise NEVER DO IT by LinuxMint developers. :!: :?:
#piritrom
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: server is already active for display 0

Postby Husse on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:43 pm

sudo rm -rf /tmp/.X0-lock

is OK
rm-rf its involve and we`d been advise NEVER DO IT by LinuxMint developers.

Something like that - never to do it unless you know what you are doing or are being told so by a reputable source. This rm-rf empties tmp
I get this now and then when I've changed to pure command line (not rebooted) and forget that and then use " startx " :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions