Newbie Monitor Resolution

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Newbie Monitor Resolution

Postby Hullslap on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:24 pm

1] Spent the day trying trying to acclimate myself with Linux Mint and actually made some progress but is definitely a work in progress. The computer being used is a Toshiba A135 plugged into a Samsung SyncMaster 220WM external monitor. The monitor resolution guide on Mint only has one option, 640 x 480. What needs to be done in order to make the resolution guide give me the SyncMasters native resolution of 1680 x 1050?
2] Also, the web browsing experience is diminished as the top and bottom bars take up too much space. Tried the f11 prompt and the computer keeps flashing black in that mode whenever I type or advance pages too quickly. In addition it causes me to lose access to the history/bookmarks/tools bar. Any suggestions.
3] Lastly, am not able to get the Compiz/Beryl cube going. Where do I start. When I hit advanced under the options for desktop, nothing happens and I cant see if there are any more options or prompts at the bottom of the page because the screen extends below the border on the bottom of the page. I did somehow stumble upon switching to the page right, to the page right of that and back left so maybe I found something there and need to keep messing with it.

I am not a very computer proficient user/technical person, used to Vista and OSX. Feedback appreciated, thanks.
Hullslap
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newbie Monitor Resolution

Postby NoClue! on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:54 pm

Go to administration>screens and graphics there are some options there. See what graphics driver is setup, I think it should be intel experimental. If you hold down ctrl, alt and left or right arrow keys does the desktop spin quickly?
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Hullslap on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:25 pm

Was unable to find any prompts that would let me know what drivers are installed. However when I followed your ctrl/alt/L-R, I got the spinning deal going in both directions.
Hullslap
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NoClue! on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:48 pm

Ok thats good, you just need to install compiz config settings manager, this let you adjust the desktop effects. As for the other issue go to the menu>administration>screens and graphics to setup the second monitor, there is tab there for the graphics card and will tell which graphics driver you have.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Hullslap on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:49 am

Thanks for your help, I now have the proper monitor resolution....it makes a big difference. Cant yet get the sound to work which is evidently a big problem with the Toshiba Satellite laptops, will get by without sound for a while till I get more comfortable with things.
Hullslap
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions