Password

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Password

Postby oscamend on Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:47 pm

I don't what happened, but in the loggin my log & password wan't be accepted. What I do now?
oscamend
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Password

Postby Husse on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:28 pm

Is this an installed Mint?
Seems so...
It's really simple and the solution shows that if someone has physical access to the computer security is none
Boot into recovery mode
type passwd + username (enter)
Type new password twice
Done
Type " exit " or reboot - this is the only way to leave recovery mode
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby oscamend on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:59 pm

Yes, I have instaled Mint and is not any other OS in the PC. The problem is the computer doesn't accept either the user login and/or the password.
Or one of them is wrong or both, I don't know, but the case is I don't get trough into the system. The system has shut me off.
My question is if there is any way to get arround by changing both username and password. :oops:

I've tried the secure mode aswell!
oscamend
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cmost on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:16 pm

When you turn on your computer, select 'Recover Mode' from the GRUB boot menu...
This will start Mint in a passwordless 'root' shell - BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!
Type in passwd <username>. (Set your password.)
Type reboot
You should now be able to log in with the new password you just set.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby oscamend on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:14 am

Thanx, but I tried this without results. I did go into the safe mode and, yes I could change password in safe, but bak to the OS the entrance was dinaied. Is it any way to go behind the system and change both username and password?
oscamend
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:11 am

Well you can only change password for an existing user - that's not surprising.
As you have changed password you now know both user name and password and should be able to log in
Note that passwords are case sensitive ans user names always "small letters" not KApital ones
If not we have to think of something else
Can you log in at all? Failsafe terminal, whatever...
Is there more than one user and if so is this the super user (the one with sudo power)?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby ariel on Sat May 03, 2008 4:32 pm

Hi ppl!

i'm having the same problem.

when i log in i write the correct user/password (they are both ariel - my own name- so they can not be wrong) but nothing happened... I get an invalid user/password message when i write another -invalid- user name or password.

i tried creating a new user, and also changing the password of this new user, but nothing works...

i ever installed kdm, but this doesn't help at all...

any idea???

what can i do to solve this?

Many Thanks...
--Ariel

PS: i only can boot in safe mode, but it doesnt like me too much... being root is never a good idea.
ariel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ariel on Sun May 04, 2008 4:07 pm

Hi!

if it helps:
i've completely removed gdm (thinking that the problem is here) and now i can log in normally.
When i execute startx with the original user i get a blank screen and then i come back to command line, but if i do startx form the newly created user, i can get into graphic mode, so maybe the problem is in a configuration file that both gdm and the user read (the user with problems is the one created during install).

Is there a place to find out what config files read the user (and gdm too)???

thanks
--Ariel
ariel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions