Live Disc Creation

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Live Disc Creation

Postby Hullslap on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:07 pm

I am trying to install mint on a new computer and am having troubles making the cd. I made a disc a couple of weeks ago on my laptop using infrarecorder and am unable to now on my new desktop. On the new machine there is ATI CD management and as soon as the Linux Mint arrives on my computer it takes over the process and wont let me use infrarecorder. I cant remove the download from the download box and everything has to go through the ATI software. When I true to burn the disc through ATI what I am left does not work. I open it and it shows about 6 different things, not a working CD like when I got it to work on my laptop. And now the Toshiba dvd creator takes over on the laptop so I can make it on the laptop. Any suggestions or hints as to what I am doing wrong? (ideally I would like to move the download to the desktop and work through infra but am happy to use the dvd software if I can make that work.) Thanks
Hullslap
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Live Disc Creation

Postby Husse on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:52 pm

Somewhat confusing - did not know ATI had this kind of software
But if you have a working CD/DVD that's ok - you don't have to make a new one.
The risk here is that I've completely misunderstood the lot
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby cmost on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:05 pm

I dislike software that takes away my choices...which is why I no longer use Windows or other proprietary junk. On the new computer, simply go to the Control Panel; Add/Remove Programs; REMOVE the obnoxious CD management software. If you're installing Mint (or using InfraRecorder as you indicate,) you won't need it anyway. Perhaps I've misunderstood your post, but Google did not turn up any software by ATI (or AMD, the new owners of this popular graphics chip maker.) Please clarify the name of the CD management software.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Hullslap on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:18 pm

No the risk is probably me not knowing what I am doing, and not being much better at explaining what I am doing, will try to be more clear. When I use the computers dvd program to create a disc and then go and open the disc it shows me a list of linux related file folders (disc,casper,isolinux,.disc-id paper image,and md5sum paper image), not a working disc like last time. Last time I was using the infrarecoreder program and somehow moved the linuxmint download from the computers download screen and got it to work. This time I cant remove the linux mint icon from the download page and have to work through the computers dvd management software, which when I use it renders a disc which renders the aforementioned 3 files and 2 paper images when opened. Is there a common mistake made by people when trying to burn a live cd? Does it sound like i am doing something wrong? In my original post I should have typed in NTI (CD&DVD Maker 7) and not ATI.
Hullslap
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cmost on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:23 pm

I get the gist of what you're doing. You're not sure where the ISO file you downloaded resides. The last time, you somehow got luck and got the web browser to open the downloaded file with InfraRecorder; ready to burn. On the new system, this isn't happening and you're confused. Okay, first, you need to locate where you actually saved the downloaded ISO image file. This is a disk image. You will have to burn it to a recordable CD in a special fashion (i.e., you won't be able to simply drag the ISO file to a blank CD-R and burn it as a data disk. Once you've located the downloaded file, open your CD-DVD burning application and see if there is an option somewhere in the menus to burn a disk image. Once you find that, browse to where the Mint ISO file is located and select that image file. Good luck! (If you're not sure where your browser keeps its downloads by default, poke around in your 'My Documents' folder, or simply do a file search for *.ISO files.)
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Hullslap on Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:07 pm

Found the remnants of the download through iso search but no luck, computer said that 'changes' had effected the file file that it was no longer usable. I suspect that this had something to do with attempting a burn with a fresh download. Enough about that, if I have to download again so be it (but dang that takes time). However I have noticed that the native computer dvd programs were oriented towards burning data towards a disc as opposed to burning an image. The one thing about the infra recorder program was that it was oriented towards burning an image to a disc as opposed to burning data to a disc. Am back on the laptop in Mint mode and am gonna try to burn a disc image in this mode to see if I have any luck. Thanks for y'alls help and input.
Hullslap
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cmost on Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:25 pm

If you're in Mint, you can burn the ISO by right-clicking the file and selecting 'Write to Disc' No further machinations required! Good luck!
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:04 am

If you're in Mint you already have a CD/DVD. Do you want to try another edition?
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Hullslap on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:27 pm

I keep coming up short in the live disc creation. Laptop/Linux Mint mode download didnt work but I am going to try it again using the right click on the mouse method that was mentioned. Ran into a problem using mint this morning when the laptop wasnt being used for awhile. It kinda went to sleep and couldnt/wouldnt wake up or respond to the on/off button, just a black screen. Eventually had to take out the laptop battery and fiddle around with it some more until I finally was able to get a restart. Has anyone ever had problems like this?
Hullslap
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Hullslap on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:45 pm

Back in Mint via the laptop & external monitor. One thing that has changed though is now I have about an inch wide black space on the left side edge of my external monitor and an inchwide space on both the right and left edges of my laptop. Dont know whats happened but the black spaces werent there before.
Hullslap
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:09 pm

I must admit I'm completely lost here - what are you talking about?....
I thought burning an ISO to a live CD....
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Hullslap on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:06 pm

This morning when the Toshiba laptop computer went to sleep when not being used for awhile. I couldnt get it to wake up with the power button and eventually had to remove the battery to get it going again. At first I had issues with some of the screen space being blacked out at the sides of the monitor field but that went way after changing background pictures several times. Evidently some people have had problems in Ubuntu with the computer going into sleep mode and not waking up according to some searching I did. Anyway all is back to normal for now and I will be cautious for the time being with regard to sleep mode. Still no luck on the livecd, have tried doing it in Vista mode and in Linux mode, it could be the dvdplayer on the new Acer desktop or it could well be the computer user. I will keep trying, found my original Live CD made on the laptop but cannot get it work. I found the help.ubuntu.com iso guide and followed it to a T but something is still not working correctly. Have Mint working mostly fine on the Toshiba laptop (just gotta work out the sound issue), if it takes awhile to get things going on the new Acer desktop, well then that is ok. I have a Ubuntu 7.10 disc that I got out of a Linux magazine and if I wanted to I install regular Ubuntu as opposed to Mint and just get it over with I could, but I would rather hold out and get the Mint. Thanks for the assistance, gonna keep trying.
Hullslap
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions