MintUpgrade or synaptic package Manager or Apt-get [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

MintUpgrade or synaptic package Manager or Apt-get [SOLVED]

Postby Nibes on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:22 am

Greetings. I have changed from the coffe Ubuntu to the tea flavour of Mint.

I had installed Daryna Gnome main edition, on a AMD AthlonTM 1.8GHZ 5**Mb Ram and a Dual Boot with Win XP (both in different hard drives).
After the instalation I wanted to upgrade some packages. I try'd first with the MintUpdate but it hangs timeless. (waited for almost 1hr.) then I tried the synaptic package Manager (something familiar) but it can't reload and i got the following text :

"The repository might be no longer available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and the correct writing of the repository address in the preferences."

and the error is this: "E: Não foi possível obter lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable) E: Unable to lock the list directory"

Then I thought I could use apt-get update or upgrade but it hangs timeless.

Is this a network connection problem.? ( using ADSL "direct connect" )
Well I hope there is a solution out there. thank you very much in advance.
Last edited by Nibes on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
with a cup of Mint tea.
Nibes
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: MintUpgrade or synaptic package Manager or Apt-get

Postby Caraibes on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:53 am

It looks to me like your internet connection has not been configured... Maybe your ISP needs a particular IP (static...) or a particular DNS (you should use http://www.opendns.com).

Or simply maybe the ethernet cable is unplugged ;)
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Re: MintUpgrade or synaptic package Manager or Apt-get SOLVED

Postby Nibes on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:20 am

Hi, again.

The cable was and stills plugged in. What did helped me in this situation was the tip about the DNS servers.
I changed them in the Network Manager and the "pretty" MintUpdate started right away,

Thank you.
with a cup of Mint tea.
Nibes
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions