Going form XP to Mint :)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Going form XP to Mint :)

Postby voltaqe on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:22 pm

Hi there mint users :)

I Just discovered mint, and i want to ask you, if it is "safe" to convert, if you know what i mean :)
I play games like, Warcraft III, WoW and Counter-strike: Source - Are this system eligible for these games ?
I have tried Ubuntu GG, and others.. but i want to know if this is any different form the others ? :)
Looking forward to testing it!! :)
Linux is always a pleasure to use, becuase it is a whole new world.. (better one! :lol:) instead of being trapped inside that windows xp box :x

Regards
Niels
// voltaqe - how can we kill that, which has no life at all? :o
voltaqe
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Going form XP to Mint :)

Postby derekr44 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:33 pm

I switched from XP to Mint and love it. I game with the same games you do. All three of those can be run with either WINE, Crossover or Cedega.

I personally spent the $40 and bought Crossover. CSS, WoW & TF2 are supported out of the box. WC3 requires a little bit of tweaking, but it works too.
derekr44
Level 1
Level 1

Postby alcatraz on Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:56 am

I changed from Vista to Mint.
I'm really happy with it.
But I miss my Office 2007. Does anyone knows a possibility to run Office 2007 on Mint?
alcatraz@daryna

"If you want to test a man's character, give him power."
-- Abraham Lincoln
alcatraz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:38 am

alcatraz,

Code Weavers "Crossover Office" runs Microsoft office pretty well, But you understand that disseminating Microsoft's proprietary formats when you don't absolutely have to is like intentionally polluting the gene pool. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby derekr44 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:59 am

Fred wrote:alcatraz,

Code Weavers "Crossover Office" runs Microsoft office pretty well, But you understand that disseminating Microsoft's proprietary formats when you don't absolutely have to is like intentionally polluting the gene pool. :-)

Fred

lol

I'm guilty too... I know...
derekr44
Level 1
Level 1

Postby alcatraz on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:33 am

Perhaps my Mint will survive that :P
alcatraz@daryna

"If you want to test a man's character, give him power."
-- Abraham Lincoln
alcatraz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jbaerbock on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Well I have problems running WoW or other really resource intensive games because ATI graphics cards are not very well supported in the Linux world. However if you have Nvidia you are pretty much set to go. WoW can work on ATI cards too but takes a lot of messing around.

Overall Linux is a very stable OS (Mint more so than Ubuntu in my opinion). Personally I have issues with any Gnome oriented Distro (meltdowns and bad things happen for odd reasons) so I use Mint editions such as XFCE Mint or KDE Mint. Both are good alternatives to the normal Gnome version and still give you the minty love.

Good luck and welcome!
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Postby cisforcojo on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:27 am

Last I checked, Office 2007 had a really poor rating in the WINE AppDB. You CAN however run it through a virtual machine using something like VirtualBox (that's what I currently do). But I don't actually run it, I just have it.
cisforcojo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tucker4christ on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:14 am

I use office 2007 in Mint. I installed wine-doors and all extras in wine-doors. Then install Office. I don't really use it that much but it works, REALLY SLOWLY!!!!!
tucker4christ
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:00 am

Your mileage will vary, depending on the equipment you have. First off, Office is a real resource hog all by itself. Wine uses quite a few cpu cycles also. If you are going to run Office on Wine on Linux with an acceptable amount of speed you are going to need a fairly fast cpu and lots of memory.

Office isn't supported perfectly yet. Some of the applications work pretty good. Word seems to run the best and Excel is a close second. Power Point seems to have the most problems. At least thats been my experience.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby cisforcojo on Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:13 am

Well then, I stand corrected. :)
cisforcojo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby voltaqe on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:25 am

Thanks guys, using it for school atm. for testing purposes.. :) hehe
// voltaqe - how can we kill that, which has no life at all? :o
voltaqe
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions