How to install software on Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Re: How to install software on Linux Mint

Postby Jim45 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:08 pm

I installed Mint 15 KDE, dual booting with Windows 7. I included partitions for /home and /usr. Anyway, I used the Software Manager to add AbiWord and it showed it as being installed. It does not appear anwyhere in the Application Menu.

I thought I might have to edit the menu to manually create a launcher. However, I'm not sure exactly what file I would need to add. I don't see any obvious (to me) executable files in /user/bin or /user/sbin. I do have a folder in /user/share called abiword-2.9, again without obvious executables. What am I missing? Thanks.
Jim45
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Jim45 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:45 pm

I managed a work around. I installed Abiword through the synaptic package manager. The Software Manager simply shows Abiword Common and some plugins. I thought Abiword Common would actually install the Abiword executable but it does not. In other words, there is either a problem with what is packaged in "Abiword Common" or there should be additional software to download through the Software Manager. Or maybe something else.
Jim45
Level 1
Level 1

Postby angisl on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:09 am

Thanks a lot xenopeek.

This helps a lot.. :)
angisl
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Megazell on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:14 pm

Great thread :) Helped me solve so many issues and questions :)
Megazell's Free and Legal PC Games!
http://freeandlegalpcgames.wordpress.com/

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain
Megazell
Level 1
Level 1

Postby varunit on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Thanks a lot for this :) Will help newbies like me
varunit
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cheZ on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:50 am

hmm ...along the lines of what a few others have mentioned in passing ....i have tried to install a few apps & utilities using Software Manager ( im running Mint 15 Cinnamon 64bit ) and on more than one occasion , even though Software Manager shows the app or utility as having been installed ( progress bar in Software Manager completes install )....i do not see the app or utility in my main Mint Menu , anywhere ( in any section ) even under " All Applications ". for instance i installed ; nvidia-settings , hddtemp , kdf , smem ....and subsequently i could not locate any of them. would this possibly be because they will not work on this version of Mint 15 Olivia Cinnamon ? or am i looking in the wrong place ?
shouldn't ( or isn't ) everything installed as far and any apps or utilities shown in the main Mint Menu ? any advice / information appreciated , thanks all :)
Mint 15 Cin 64bit(Tux3.8)FF25
Lenovo y580 i7 3rdGen Intel QdCore i7 2.4ghz 6MB Cache16gb RAM
Intel 520 mSata 240gb SSD main
Samsung 840 SSD 512gb 2nd internal
15.6"1080p
Nvidia GeForce GTX660M / Intel HD Graphics 4000
cheZ
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xenopeek on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:03 am

hddtemp and smem both are command line tools, so these won't create a menu entry. You'll use them from the terminal. Run `man hddtemp` or `man smem` to view the manpage with documentation on how to use them (at least, most command line tools will have a manpage). kdf should show up in your menu as KDiskFree. Have you tried searching for it? (And with searching I mean start typing "KDiskFree" in your menu, not being silly and going to scroll through all the menu categories yourself :)).

No clue about nvidia-settings; probably something to ask instead in the Graphics Cards & Monitors forum under Hardware Support.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby cheZ on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:51 am

hi ~ thanks much for the reply , yes i understand as i did a bit more research into those ( hddtemp and smem ) and i was able to find some additional more detailed info on other websites / forums that both were indeed command line utilities (wish that was more clearly indicated in Software Manager listings ) , at any rate i removed them both in Software Manager , and they did seem to be completely un-installed ( progress bar ran thru completely ). as far as KDiskFree , why yes ... i did indeed do a thorough search in Mint Menu upon install ( searched again even after re-booting , and then again after a root cleaning with bleachbit and another reboot ) , however nothing showed up ( yes i used the search field too ). i have not really tried to install many items / apps / utilities on this new fresh install of Mint 15 Cinnamon 64bit ...but i have installed an Icon theme which is very buggy that i would like to get rid of now ( http://www.ravefinity.com/p/download-humanity-colors-icon-theme.html ) , i emailed the creators about instructions on how to un-install over 2 weeks ago but they never responded. as i mentioned i do not have much installed on this new system ....but curiously a couple of things showed up in the Mint Menu after i installed Xscreensaver ( using terminal , and then Synaptic ) ....Akonaditray , Openbox Configuration Manager and Nepomuk all showed up in the " All Applications " list in Mint Menu. i did some research on Akonaditray and saw it was KDE and i was able to remove it ( and it's libraries ) based on some detailed instructions i found on the forum from someone who suddenly had it appear on their system as well. however i have no idea why it ended up on my system. Openbox Configuration Manager and Nepomuk i would like to remove as well as neither serve any purpose for me , and i certainly didn't knowingly install either of those. i did un-install Xscreensaver ( a simple un-install , not a complete un-install in Synaptic ....as i didn't want to break my system by removing any dependencies that might be needed ) ...but removing Xscreensaver didn't remove either Openbox Configuration Manager or Nepomuk , so i am guessing that wasn't the reason they showed up on my system. anywayz ...thanks again for your kind reply , appreciate any constructive advice you can offer. all the best :)
15.6"1080p
cheZ
Level 2
Level 2

Postby chroma601 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:40 pm

I am so new to linux it's frightening. Literally.
I have an older laptop I wanted to use to learn Linux. I'm getting miffed with Windows.
Trouble is, after the install my wifi is out. Did some research and apparently I need b43-fwcutter, which I found here: http://community.linuxmint.com/software ... 3-fwcutter
So I click on the install button in Linux Firefox, and lo: "This link needs to be opened with an application" I click on choose and the list is empty.
sudo get-apt install b43-fwcutter tells me it can't find the package.
Help deeply appreciated.
chroma601
Level 3
Level 3

Postby chroma601 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:57 pm

Looking closer at the page referenced above, someone wrote:

If you have a wired connection, make sure you have the universe repositories enabled and install synaptic package manager. Once you have synaptic installed search for firmware-b43-installer, right-click to mark it for installation, then click apply. After the packages have downloaded, open the install terminal, and watch to see if the firmware is installed properly. If the firmware installed properly all you should have to do is reboot, and once at the desktop you should have working wireless.

So, where do I go to find the universe repositories, and how do I enable them once found? After I do that, I apparently need to install synaptic, but as a newbie, I don't know where that would live either.

I just did a Google search and found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA5JxO-aV1s - but my desktop does not have a software sources icon. So I looked at the menu, found it,and perhaps enabled too many things as there is a lot of downloading going on. I searched for synaptic there, but there was no response.
chroma601
Level 3
Level 3

Postby chroma601 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:14 am

On a separate matter, I am about to attempt my third install of mint-cinnamon from scratch. The first time, I had password issues. The second time, there were frequent hangups and a huge crash that resulted in no booting. This time, I'm giving up on the 64 bit version and trying the 32 bit. It's going on a HP Pavilion laptop which reads x64 processor but came with 32 bit Vista. I really want this to work, as I think Windows has been moving away from a decent computing experience.
chroma601
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cheZ on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:41 am

hi chroma601 ~ quick question , when you do your install ( from a live CD/DVD or a USB Flash Drive ) , are you making sure that you are plugged in to a live LAN ( ethernet connection ) ....im guessing you would be as you have done the installs before , but just wanted to mention that using the latest release version of Mint 15 Cinnamon 64bit , and installing via a Flash Drive ....my install was good without issues , and everything worked right out of the box ( even wifi and Bluetooth ). i ran the update manager immediately and then re-booted and installed bleachbit ( from Software Manager ) and ran it from root , and normal mode. and then re-booted again , and ran update manager again for additional updates. then went into Synaptic to check if there were any upstream / upgrades , and installed those. then i re-booted again , ran bleachbit both ways again , and rebooted again. after that all seemed to be working fine. the reason i mention all of this is that a month ago i did an install of same , and there were some issues ( on 64bit ) , so i did a fresh re-install of 64bit this time around , and the system is running much faster and is way more stable. just thought to mention. all the best with your install :)
15.6"1080p
cheZ
Level 2
Level 2

some clarification?

Postby Spearmint2 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:00 pm

You wrote;

A archive file, like a tarball or a .zip, that your download and extract to your user's home folder. Unlike the tarball discussed in the previous section, this wouldn't contain the source code by the already compiled program. You extract the contents of the archive to a folder in your user's home folder and start it from there (see the "README" file for instructions). Sometimes it includes a script to install it so all users on your computer can use it.

I was reading through this today and sort of did a double take on it, at first I thought you were saying some program installed into a home folder could be used by everyone other than JUST that user alone. I realized that's probably not what you intended to imply, especially if that user's home folder was encrypted. I do think however a complete newbie might get that impression from the statement.

Anyway, I was wondering if maybe you could expand this sticky to include some defining explanation aimed at program methods and locations of installation which all users on a computer have access to, and those installed so only one particular user will have access to it's use?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 7
Level 7

Postby xenopeek on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Thank you for the feedback Spearmint2. I've clarified that sentence you highlighted a little bit. I think it goes beyond the scope of this tutorial to detail what exactly the "system folders" are and what parts of programs get installed where. For those that are interested in such things there are various places to learn more about filesystem hierarchy on GNU/Linux. The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) is a good resource, though it is quite a read if this is all new to the reader: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/FHS
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Spearmint2 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Thanks.

On my main Linux computer I do have Firefox setup for all users, but for my own user account it's installed to my home partition and only available for my use, just for added security. Same with the thunderbird. I just have to remember to use the correct links, which is easy since I maintain those private use just on that user desktop.

Yes, probably better as a separate how-to.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Newbie Questions