How to install software on Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: How to install software on Linux Mint

Postby millpond on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:10 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:New install? Check the md5sum of the DVD you burned from the ISO file you downloaded. They get hit up sometimes. Just recently I downloaded Mint17 and the first one was corrupted, but later the same site I received a good one. A corrupted ISO can be burned to a disc and then can seem to install successfully and some programs work, then a glitch happens that seems a bug, but it was due to the download losing some bytes along the way.

You should have started a new thread for this. Maybe a mod will move it over in a bit into it's own thread, so look for it there if you don't find it here.

It should perhaps be noted that DVDs were never really meant for *data* storage. They're mainly designed for media where the loss of a few bytes here and there is inconsequential.

I am certainly not an authority on the subject, but after having some disastrous DVD installs, my general conclusions are:

When possible boot from a CD. If the image is too large, transfer the image over to a USB stick and boot with that. There are usilities to make the stick bootable, but the best I've used involved using the dd command. Google 'dd USB bootable image'.

If using DVD it seems the -R may be more reliable than the +R types.(this point may be arguable!)
Use the SLOWEST recording speed *supported* (too slow may be a problem).
ALWAYS verify the image.
Rewritables are not recommended for long term storage.
Some Linux burners programs are problematic. Brasero seems like junk. Others have had good luck with it.
A newbie probable would have better luck moving the ISO to Win and burning with ImgBurn.
millpond
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Vergil on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:09 am

Hi. I have a question regarding installation of binary files.

I am new to Linux. I'm running Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 32bit. I wanted to install the Bitcoin Core wallet (bitcoin-qt). I added the PPA repository (add-apt-repository ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin, apt-get update, apt-get install bitcoin-qt...) but when I went to install the program I got the following error "E: Unable to locate package bitcoin-qt" (I also tried variations like "bitcoin" instead of "bitcoin-qt" etc. It wasn't the name. Even using Software Manager, the source had the bitcoin PPA enabled but any search for something to do with bitcoin didn't pop up any relevant results).
A few forum posts suggested that it's because there is no longer support for 32bit (which is true for Mac, but apparently not for Linux. Maybe the PPA doesn't support 32 bit). So in a last ditch attempt, I decided to try and install from the tar.gz file. That file apparently had 2 folders in it: bin and src, the src folder having its own tarball with the source code. The bin folder had the binaries for both 32bit and 64bit in a folder for each type. So I went to the 32 folder and opened the "bitcoin-qt" file (p.s. not a *.bin file... it had no extention, but I believe that's irrelevant since it was in the bin folder, must have been a binary file type). The first time I ran it, a window came up asking where I want to create the relevant data files (felt like an installation file from that point of view), so I put it in /home/.Bitcoin and then the bitcoin wallet opened up and started syncing. I preferred just running the binary rather than going to the source code and go through the whole ./configure, make, sudo make install...

All well and good. It works, I'm happy. I also moved the binary file to /home/ and deleted the tarball because I didn't need it anymore and everything still works. Running the program isn't the issue as long as I keep going back to the bitcoin-qt binary file. But the thing is, it doesn't feel like it's "installed". There's no link in the menu. Each time I want to open it I have to run this bin file, and when I do it opens a window which says it's an unknown file type and asks me if I want to make an executable and run it. Again, no problem, I say yes, it opens and runs fine. But how do I install it? ~$ chmod +x bitcoin-qt doesn't do anything different from that point of view. Am I making a distinction that's not actually to be made? Is it installed already but because I didn't use Software Manager it's not in the menu and there's nothing to do about that?

Thanks for any advice. Sorry for the long question.
Vergil
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:42 am

Looking at the PPA packages for Linux Mint 17 ("trusty" series), you can see indeed there are no 32 bit (i386) packages.

Using it as you are doing is just like on Windows; you've download a random executable file and dropped in somewhere on your desktop and are running it from there. That's indeed not installing in the sense that your package manager doesn't know of the existence of this program being installed, nor of what files it installed where, and so can't help you in any way (your package manager is the one fetching updates for installed programs, ensuring no packages get deleted that are needed by others, that you don't accidentally install an older version of some package but only never ones, and that if you remove the package all the associated system files--never user files--are removed).

I wouldn't bother with trying to "install" it. Just right-click your menu, choose to edit it, and add an launcher for this program to your menu yourself. As for the question you get when opening it, I suggest you make a new topic and ask for help with that.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Spearmint2 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:26 pm

http://askubuntu.com/questions/376291/c ... utside-the

up vote 1 down vote

If you are looking to control your source-code-installation through Synaptic Manager or Ubuntu Software Center (to ease the process of uninstall), you can try

./configure
make
sudo checkinstall

which creates a .deb package. This is can be installed using Ubuntu Software Center.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/usi ... ges-source

http://community.linuxmint.com/software ... -essential

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9234

https://wiki.debian.org/IntroDebianPackaging
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Vergil on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:40 am

Thanks so much for the clarification, xenopeek. By the way, configuring the menu to add a link to the file resolved the issue of the message that pops up (make executable and run). It just runs it with no message. 2 birds, eh?
Vergil
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cyberschelm on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:11 pm

Hello,

Thanks for this cool install manual.

There is one install method not covered tho, the one I've had most of my problems with over the last 6 months, and that is installing with git for software like sickbeard, couchpotato, headphones and spotweb. These programs were one of the main reasons for me to switch to linux.

I managed to get them all running, took me bout 2 months to learn how and involved a bunch of fresh installs when I messed up putting the scripts in order. But I still don't have proper insight on the structures regarding git install.

Would love to see a guide on that topic.
I am NOT hampered by any knowledge.
cyberschelm
Level 1
Level 1

Previous

Return to Newbie Questions