How can i update?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How can i update?

Post by MagnusB »

Yes, you can use dist-update (?), but generally it is recommended doing a clean install each time. Now, as for the need to install a new version, it is only if you, like me, are suffering from the well known decease of having to run the latest at no matter what cost. Many people tend to stay at a version they are comfortable with and they find stable, but hopefully Elyssa will get LTS (Long Term Support).
I prefer a clean install each time I update, but some has used dist-upgrade with some success, some have had troubles with it, and I think you will miss out on the newest artwork as well :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Put home on a separate partition and then you can upgrade OS without any loss of data.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Yes, but clean out hidden folders first. Most programs save their settings in /home/username/.folder (. in front of file/folder name will hide the file/folder), but these can cause complication if you upgrade :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”