guarddog or firestarter for linux mint 4.0 daryna ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

guarddog or firestarter for linux mint 4.0 daryna ?

Postby kuruka on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:38 pm

:idea:
hi linux mint forum,
may I use the guarddog firewall for linux mint 4.0 daryna? I know the guarddog firewall is a kde software. which firewall for beginner is the most recommended to by using linux mint 4.0 daryna gnome edition? because I am used to use guarddog for a long while when I used another distro with kde. I don't like firerstarter very much and I don't fit well with it. Is there any conflict with linux mint 4.0 daryna with it? I'd appreciate your useful hints.god bless you! best regards.

:mrgreen:
Linux Mint Brazil administrator at http://www.linuxmint.com.br
kuruka
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: guarddog or firestarter for linux mint 4.0 daryna ?

Postby cisforcojo on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:29 am

I've never used guarddog (been about 5 years since I've used KDE) but firestarter is pretty good. You're going to need to patch it though.
It tends to crash frequently but the patch is a pretty easy fix. It'll probably be included in their next update.
cisforcojo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:06 pm

It doesn't really matter, both are just configuration tools for iptables, neither are a firewall....
Softpedia.com wrote:Guarddog is a firewall configuration utility for Linux systems

Softpedia.com wrote:Firestarter is a firewall tool for Linux, and uses GNOME. You can use the wizard to create a basic firewall, then streamline it further using the dynamic rules.

Iptables are installed per default on most distros, these utilities just make configuring them a bit easier (though the terminal could give you a better setup if you want to go through it)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby sundayrefugee on Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:27 am

I'd recommend Guard Dog. Firestarter's iptable config is only in place while the program is running, and you must do some "tweaking" to get it running without having to enter a password at system boot. Guard Dog is a set-and-forget "firewall", but on the other hand it requires more knowledge of what you need to let in and out, and isn't as "beginner-freindly" as Firestarter. However, you only have to run and configure Guard Dog once, and not run it again unless you need to change your iptable rules.

So, it's a toss-up, depending on your level of expertise and needs. I tend to recommend Guard Dog simply because it doesn't have to be ran constantly. Your needs may vary ;)
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:59 am

kuruka,

I believe you said your were familiar with and liked Guarddog. And your question was can you use it on Mint 4 daryna.

The answer to your question is, yes you can. Install it from synaptic. It will probably pull in some other stuff, (dependencies), along with it but that shouldn't be a problem.

Like MagnusB said, neither Guarddog nor Firestarter are firewalls. They are just configuration utility GUI's. The firewall is already there, it is iptables.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby MagnusB on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:52 am

I just did a
Code: Select all
sudo aptitude install guarddog

(like aptitude over apt-get, gives better control over dependencies) and saw that Guard Dog needs:
gawk kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a libakode2 libarts1-akode libarts1c2a
libavahi-qt3-1 liblua50 liblualib50 libopenexr2c2a libsamplerate0
perl-suid

Would use 60 MB more space when unpacked, while Firestarter needs only needs 1 package (firestarter_1.0.3-6ubuntu1_i386.deb). If you use GNOME I recommend Firestarter, KDE Guard Dog, both are pretty easy to configure anyway. I did not think about this earlier, but there is the difference: Firestarter is a GNOME app, Guard Dog is a KDE app...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions