How to uninstall?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How to uninstall?

Postby h2z on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:50 am

Ok so I know how to remove an application that was installed via deb package manager and via the synaptic manager but how do I remove an application that was "installed" by means of compiling?? :?:
h2z
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to uninstall?

Postby cisforcojo on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:17 am

First, do you still have the folder you installed from?
If not, I suggest re-tracing your steps and re-installing it exactly like you did before and then from the directory where you typed 'make install'
type 'make uninstall' so the commands from the source folder should look something like this:
Code: Select all
./configure
make
make install
make uninstall

If you still have the folder, just run 'make uninstall' (I BELIEVE this is the command to remove files you've installed with make)

A suggestion?
Install 'checkinstall'
sudo apt-get install checkinstall

What 'checkinstall' does is make a .deb file from the source code and then install from that. SO, when you want to remove it, you can use Synaptic and not worry about all this hassle. If you install from source code, if you don't still have the source code folder you installed from, your chances are pretty slim of actually finding and erasing everything it installed.

Using checkinstall, you'll NEVER want to type 'make install' again, instead you'd type 'sudo checkinstall'
An install from source will look like this:
./configure
make
sudo checkinstall

Of course, if anyone knows a better method, feel free to jump in.
cisforcojo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:39 am

cisforcojo wrote:A suggestion?
Install 'checkinstall'
sudo apt-get install checkinstall

What 'checkinstall' does is make a .deb file from the source code and then install from that. SO, when you want to remove it, you can use Synaptic and not worry about all this hassle. If you install from source code, if you don't still have the source code folder you installed from, your chances are pretty slim of actually finding and erasing everything it installed.

Using checkinstall, you'll NEVER want to type 'make install' again, instead you'd type 'sudo checkinstall'
An install from source will look like this:
./configure
make
sudo checkinstall

This is so good it should be on the wiki!
It works like magic!
I LIKE IT!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby cisforcojo on Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:12 pm

Glad to help. :)
cisforcojo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby itoffshore on Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:24 am

The latest version of checkinstall 1.6.1 will fail to mkdir on Elyssa - you can fix this bug with:

sudo checkinstall --fstrans=no
itoffshore
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions