two monitors

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

two monitors

Postby wheniriseagain on Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:33 pm

ok so i recently installed linux mint on my laptop and i plugged in a second monitor and tried to set it as an extended screen but it wouldnt let me so i restarted it with the screen still plugged in and it started loading up just fine on the external monitor and then it started flashing and said i must either operate on low resolution settings or configure the monitors so i went to configure and this time it had the option to use it as an extended monitor so i clicked it then hit test my screen went fuzzy(this whole time my laptop screen is blank) it flickers then says it doesnt work so i unplug the monitor and it wont switch back over to my laptop monitor so now when ever i turn it on it looks like it is loading just fine but then it goes to a terminal and has me log in that way. and wont go to my desktop. it says it cannot run the display setting on my video card. how can i either remove it and reinstall or how can i fix the display settings
wheniriseagain
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: two monitors

Postby Nibes on Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 am

Hello.

what kind of monitor is it?

This weekend I had to plug in an old CRT to use as a main screen. I had to use vesa driver and to lower the resolution to the minimum to be able to see anything.
I did this using the code
Code: Select all
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
. But I don't know if that works to reconfigure a second screen.
Perhaps the easiest way is the sistem > Administration > screen and graphics there you should find some options..

But I am sure someone will help you with this issue.
Nibes
Level 1
Level 1

Re: two monitors

Postby wheniriseagain on Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:35 am

ok well i solved it by using a live cd that gives the option when you boot it up to set the display resolution before starting it up so it works now. thx though
wheniriseagain
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions