Will there be new LM with the release of Ubuntu 8.04?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Will there be new LM with the release of Ubuntu 8.04?

Postby vulpes on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:33 am

Right now, the primary OS on my system is Ubuntu Feisty. I've been putting off upgrading to Gutsy because it had some major issues in the beginning - especially on Asian language environments - and I was too lazy to reinstall and set everything up. :) I was planning to sit through Gutsy and move directly to Hardy, but the rest of the Ubuntu community is based largely on the newer Gutsy, I'm feeling the need to upgrade, if only to be able to install the newest versions of programs that I use.

Now, I've discovered Mint some time ago, and have been highly interested in it ever since. I've even installed it for a friend of mine. I was actually planning to use Mint instead of Gutsy to solve the issues that I've been having with Feisty, but I've put it off too long and now Hardy, the next release of Ubuntu, is right around the corner.

Okay, that was unnecessarily long... So basically what I'm wondering about is this: what happens to Mint upon the new Ubuntu release? I should think that Mint would be affect by it, but on the other hand, the Wikipedia article tells me that Mint has a different system of keeping up with Ubuntu... which is the part I didn't really understand fully.

If I installed Mint now... Would I be able to continue using the same install come this April? or am I better off waiting for the new version? As easy as Linux has become, it still is quite a bother to have to configure my system to the way I need it to be... so I prefer to avoid it if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.
vulpes
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Will there be new LM with the release of Ubuntu 8.04?

Postby cisforcojo on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:38 am

From what I've seen, Mint is based on but does not depend on the Ubuntu releases. I would say that definitely with a new version of Ubuntu there will be a new Mint version as well but sometimes you'll see several Mint versions arrive between Ubuntu releases. Mint seems to be a "it's out when it's done" kinda OS.

I run Chinese on my system and had some problems with SCIM at the beginning but nothing I couldn't fix. It's completely fine now.
cisforcojo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Will there be new LM with the release of Ubuntu 8.04?

Postby Boo on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:50 am

yes with ubuntu 8.04 there will be Mint 5 Elyssa.
there is no upgrade path (well easy one) and do not use apt-get dist-upgrade if you are given the option.
we have no set mile stones when it comes to releases, so when 8.04 comes out it could be 1, 2 or 3 months before the next mint comes out.
but saying that we are trying to get it out as quick as possible.

Cheers
Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions