Partition Recommendation

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Partition Recommendation

Postby mumidadi on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:05 am

Hey i got 250Gb hard disk and i am using windows XP.

C: 10 GBs
D: 80Gb
E: 40GB
F: 40Gb
G:52 GB
H:10gb ALL FREE
Rest is unpartioned space which i used for installing mint which lead to almost disaster . So please guide me through how to install mint with this partition setup.All are NTFS
mumidadi
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Partition Recommendation

Postby Husse on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:47 pm

How disaster?
Anyway when you come to the partitioning part of the install select manual partitioning
and create one partition about 10 GB for root (there's a drop down menu to do the selection of mount points as it's called) and the rest for home on a separate partition
Should be pretty straight forward
Use ext3 as file system - do not try to use fat or NTFS partitions for Linux - it won't work
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Zwopper on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:05 pm

Husse wrote:How disaster?
Anyway when you come to the partitioning part of the install select manual partitioning
and create one partition about 10 GB for root (there's a drop down menu to do the selection of mount points as it's called) and the rest for home on a separate partition
Should be pretty straight forward
Use ext3 as file system - do not try to use fat or NTFS partitions for Linux - it won't work

Don't forget a SWAP partition for at least the size of your memory amount.
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 13.10
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Husse on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:31 pm

Thanks Zwopper - I forgot this is Newbie Questions
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby mumidadi on Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:03 am

Well disaster was i installed the Mint and when it rebooted it gave me some Error 18 and then nothing was booting not even XP so i rebooted with live CD and dlted the swap and EXT3 partition with Mint installed and now its working as was working before(XP)........i was told that error is cause of BIOS DSNT support big hard drives with Dual Boot well something like that so but i remember using 2 windows not so long ago.... so thats why i was asking how to manage my partitions...Last 10GB drive is all free i can use it for Mint so i can make it like
2Gb swap
8GB ExT3

BUt selecting mount points is real Problem what mount points should i select?
mumidadi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mumidadi on Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:31 am

OK i just tried again with Mint but now when i run the installation setup and progressed to the partition manager and selected manual.THe next windows which was supposed to show me Partitions wsnt showing me anything instead showed me this

/dev/sda

Its quite funny i thought all problems solutions known now i well make Installation thread after i am done with Installation but still i am stuck over Partitions :(
mumidadi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:38 am

mumidadi wrote:Last 10GB drive is all free i can use it for Mint so i can make it like
2Gb swap
8GB ExT3

BUt selecting mount points is real Problem what mount points should i select?

8GB EXT3 mountpoint /
2Gb SWP mountpoint will set itself to /swap
Make sure you tick the format box for the / (root) -partition
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 13.10
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby atlef on Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:15 am

Screenshot--dev-sdb - GParted-1.png
Screenshot--dev-sdb - GParted-1.png (62.16 KiB) Viewed 902 times

This is what mine looks like at the moment.

Screenshot--dev-sdb - GParted-1.png
Screenshot--dev-sdb - GParted-1.png (62.16 KiB) Viewed 902 times

And this is my : "he whispered" Vista install. An install I've used the best part of the last SIX months to configure to my liking, and to make it run almost as smooth as xp used to. And it is possible.

atlef.
Attachments
Screenshot--dev-sda - GParted-1.png
Screenshot--dev-sda - GParted-1.png (45.35 KiB) Viewed 903 times
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mumidadi on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:59 pm

OK i am now installing with windows drive having its default mount point and Mint drive having \mount point and swap as it by default.......lets see how it goes

I just got finished with Mint installation I sue 10gb partition i converted 8gb into EXT3 and 2 gb for swap but now i am getting after rebooting

GRUB loading stage 1.5
GRUB loading, Please wait
Error 18
mumidadi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:24 pm

mumidadi,

Here is an exert that might help you.

Error 18

Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS

This error is returned when a read is attempted at a linear block address beyond the end of the BIOS translated area. This generally happens if your disk is larger than the BIOS can handle (512MB for (E)IDE disks on older machines or larger than 8GB on others.). In more practical terms this means the BIOS is unable to start executing the kernel because the kernel is not located within the block it can access at boot up time.

This can be circumvented by creating a boot partition at the beginning of the disk that is completely within the first 1023 cylinders of the harddrive. This partition will contain the kernel.

The kernel itself does not suffer from the same limitations as the BIOS so after the BIOS has loaded the kernel the kernel will have no problem accessing the whole harddrive. Newer BIOSes will automatically translate the harddrives size in a way that it can be completely contained within the first 1023 cylinders and hence modern computers do not suffer from this problem.

The same error can happen when the BIOS detects a disk in a different way as Linux does. This can happen when changing motherboards or when moving a GRUB-bootable disk from one computer to another. If this happens, just boot with a GRUB floppy, read the C/H/S numbers from the existing partition table and manually edit the BIOS numbers to match.

The above was taken from the below url. if you want more information.

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/GRUB

Enjoy,

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Husse on Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:13 pm

The size limitations should be fixed in newer hard and software - unless perhaps if you try to put grub in a partition "very deep" into the disk
BUT
I see two /home partitions one with NTFS
This does not work - you can have lots of /home partitions but only one mounted as home and you can't use ntfs in Linux partitions
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions