Unable to start 'gnome-settings-daemon'

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Unable to start 'gnome-settings-daemon'

Postby Gone Mintal on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:06 pm

I get this error a lot -
Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'.
Without the GNOME settings manager running, some preferences may not take effect. This could indicate a problem with Bonobo, or a non-GNOME (e.g. KDE) settings manager may already be active and conflicting with the GNOME settings manager.

Today, I got it when going to Control Center/Appearances to choose a GTK theme. I don't use KDE and don't know what could possibly be running that would be conflicting with it. Any ideas what I can do about it, please?
Gone Mintal
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Unable to start 'gnome-settings-daemon'

Postby clem on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:19 pm

Hi,

We've been having this problem since the very first releases of Linux Mint and I've seen it happened on other gnome distros too (even RPM ones). It doesn't happen often and usually you can just restart Gnome for it to go away. It seems to happen "sometimes" particularly when the system is run from the liveCD or within a virtual machine.

If somebody finds a solution to this I'd be extremely happy to know about it, why it happens and how to make it not happen again.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Unable to start 'gnome-settings-daemon'

Postby Gone Mintal on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:02 pm

I'm not running from a cd or from a virtual machine, but it doesn't sound like I need to worry about it too much if just restarting Gnome will work. How do I restart Gnome without rebooting the computer? Will ctrl/alt/bckspce do it?

clem wrote:Hi,

We've been having this problem since the very first releases of Linux Mint and I've seen it happened on other gnome distros too (even RPM ones). It doesn't happen often and usually you can just restart Gnome for it to go away. It seems to happen "sometimes" particularly when the system is run from the liveCD or within a virtual machine.

If somebody finds a solution to this I'd be extremely happy to know about it, why it happens and how to make it not happen again.

Clem.
Gone Mintal
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions