Envy

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Envy

Postby astheo on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi,

I have just installed ATI drivers through restricted manager. What will I do next in order to fully enable my video card? About Envy, how is it related to my graphics card? When I click it, I get an error message about the packages that are required for Envy to run and says I have to install them manually. How do I do that?

Thanks!
Last edited by astheo on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
astheo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Eny

Postby NoClue! on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:04 pm

Preferences> appearance> visual effects> custom and you should get a screen either telling you restricted driver is enabled or asking you if you would like to enable it. Don't try to use envy and the restricted driver manager, it's either or. After you log in again ctrl + alt and L/R arrow key should make the desktop spin quickly. To adjust settings install from synaptic compiz config settings manager and your good to go.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Envy

Postby astheo on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:19 pm

@NoClue!

I followed your instructions but after I clicked the 2nd and 3rd option it prompted me that the composite extension is not available. Am I having a driver problem? I checked the restricted driver manager, my ATI graphics card is enabled.

Thanks! :D
astheo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pete284 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:21 pm

If envy doesn't work fully for you (and it didn't for me) I downloaded the Ubuntu restricted drivers from the Package Manager and it worked fine.
pete284
Level 1
Level 1

Postby astheo on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:34 pm

pete284 wrote:If envy doesn't work fully for you (and it didn't for me) I downloaded the Ubuntu restricted drivers from the Package Manager and it worked fine.

Would you tell me how did you exactly do it? I am a newbie. A new linux convert actually...

Thanks!
astheo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pete284 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:14 am

Go to the package manager from the Daryna button (entering your admin password)

Click on the search button and type in restricted and then search.

You will be given a number of results scroll down to the very bottom of the page right click on ubuntu-restricted-extras and choose mark for installation.

Then click on the apply button. It will take a while as is it a large package.

Hope this helps
pete284
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions