hello again

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
elajas82

hello again

Post by elajas82 »

Well so far mint has been working great but i have some simple questions.

1. Right now i have dual boot (mint and XP) now i wanto install another XP (triple boot). Can i install it whitout messing up mint? If you wonder why i need second windows:

a. mint: my primary os
b. XP: optimized for games, no internet connection. Games run a lot faster whitout antivirus software running. If the XP can't connect into www, it doesn't need firewall/antivirus software :)
c. XP: standard XP with internet connection

2. Is there anyway to change folder permissions without logging in as root. The folder i wanto use is /var/www.
3. Is there anyway to mint remember folder permissions?. The thing is i have nokia 6500 classic. I use it as mp3 player. Every time i plug it into my pc i haveto change folder permissions before i can add/delete music/files. It's not a big trouble but i was wondering: is tere any way mint can remember this device and the permissions?

EDIT: i almost forgot: is there simple image editor for mint? Gimp is good but i need something more simple ... like paint in windows.

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: hello again

Post by MagnusB »

1. Install linux last, always, Windows never consider other OS than M$, but I am not sure how 2 XP installations will work, but if you get both to boot correctly first, then it should work. But why don't you just deactivate internet connections, shut down AV software then play? Seems easier to me...

Code: Select all

sudo chown newuser /folder/folder
But I do not recommend changing permission of system folders (like /var/www), editing files there can brick your system. As for your phone, permissions of mounted volumes is controlled by /etc/fstab¸ to mount it as user you need to add/edit it there.

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install gpaint
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
elajas82

Re: hello again

Post by elajas82 »

Thanks for the reply.

Just disabling antivirus/firewall will not do the trick. After they are installed games run a much slower than whitout them ... i have tested it. One of the latest games i buyed "overlord" (a really good game :D) runned in full graphic whitout antivirus and firewall. After i installed them the game slowed down a lot, even when i disabled them.

I need 2 XP-s because one is optimized for games nothing more. The second one, what i wanto use is like normal xp with internet connection, antivirus soft/firewall and so on. There are some things, that linux can't do for me and i need windows for that. I have had multiple xp-s running before (it was a long time ago)
Right now i have xp and mint, everything works great. I was just wondering, if i now install second xp on my second hdd will it mess up mint?
mint is working just the way i like and i don't wanto mess it up again ... that's the reason why i decided to ask here first ... just in case.

Return to “Beginner Questions”