Feature request: Already installed - uninstall?

Questions about mintInstall and the Software Portal
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Feature request: Already installed - uninstall?

Postby qbicdesign on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:11 pm

From Mintinstall, when i'm browsing the packages it would be useful to know if i have the selected package already installed or not, and preferably with an option there to uninstall it.
It just seems strange to me that for installing, we're quite actively encouraged to use MintInstall, yet when it comes to uninstalling anything, we're lacking the same level of guidance...

for the benefit of those who don't know how to uninstall - right click on the Mint Menu icon for the application, select uninstall
qbicdesign
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Feature request: Already installed - uninstall?

Postby Fred on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:29 pm

qbicdesign,

I think that is a good point. But I do see the other side too. Clem is trying to keep the screens as simple and straight forward as possible. If it starts getting too many "features" there isn't much advantage in using it over synaptic. Remember, it is designed as a new user's tool. It is a balancing act, so-to-speak.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby dequire on Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:48 am

I'd like to see an uninstall option here as well. Even noob users will eventually want to uninstall software. And knowing at a glance when is installed and isn't with the option to uninstall would be a big help.
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint
dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Postby emorrp1 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:38 am

It's already been done, ready for Helena: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=30698
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Return to mintInstall