only top 500 packages shown, good or bad?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

what should be done about the fact that it only shows 500?

I only care about functionality, show them all
17%
I only care about speed, show only 500
17%
i like a balance so want a user configurable option or button
67%

Total votes : 6

only top 500 packages shown, good or bad?

Postby baffle-boy on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:30 pm

in my opinion, this is a huge mistake to only show the top 500 packages under any of the lists, and force the user to search for the rest, i honestly will not update my software manager because of this. some simple solutions would be to add an option to configure how many are shown, a button to show all, or next/previous page buttons. what dlo you think? does this need to be fixed?
baffle-boy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: only top 500 packages shown, good or bad?

Postby Jeff91 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:14 pm

baffle-boy wrote:in my opinion, this is a huge mistake to only show the top 500 packages under any of the lists, and force the user to search for the rest, i honestly will not update my software manager because of this. some simple solutions would be to add an option to configure how many are shown, a button to show all, or next/previous page buttons. what dlo you think? does this need to be fixed?

Or install the Ubuntu Software Ceneter...

~Jeff
Jeff91
Level 3
Level 3

Postby DrHu on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:24 pm

I can't vote, but I only need to see the top 10 at the most, anything after that is just derivative
--OK, I am guessing on that, maybe there are some unique choices within the first 100, 200, 500, 700, 1000

Heh, I just don't know, and I probably have too little time to find out
--since, When I am installing some software, I occasionally look around the listings and discover some items of interest: their position on the scorecard is irrelevant to me.
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby vincent on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:31 pm

Where's the option "I don't care either way"? :P

To be honest, I don't use any of the Mint tools, besides mintMenu. For me, apt-get easily replaces mintUpdate and mintInstall, although I occasionally still refer to Synaptic from time to time. However, I support the concept of giving the user as much control as possible, even if it complicates things, so I'm in favour of giving mintInstall users the ability to access all the packages available in the repos, directly from mintInstall. I'll leave the exact implementation of this to Clem and his team of hard-working developers. ;)
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Software & Applications