version numbers?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
akshunj

version numbers?

Post by akshunj »

Is there any plan to add versioning to mintInstall? That's the one thing that really keeps me from using it.

--Akshun J
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

No. Because a mint file describes a way to install software from somewhere.... if in that somewhere, the software is upgraded... then the same mint file is now installing a newer version of the software.

I hope I make sense...

Clem
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

clem wrote:No. Because a mint file describes a way to install software from somewhere.... if in that somewhere, the software is upgraded... then the same mint file is now installing a newer version of the software.

I hope I make sense...

Clem
I *think* that makes sense. Meaning that the mintInstall of *any* piece of software will always be the latest version, due to the nature of mintInstall. If that's accurate, I've just become the biggest fan of the mintInstall.

I'm not sure everyone here understands how this works. I surely did not until just now. It's pretty slick...

--Akshun J
akshunj

Re: version numbers?

Post by akshunj »

Kynan wrote:...
But whats interesting is that It is possible to make .mint files that use specific repositories that are maintained by the program maker and this would ensure a more up to date version as usually the ubuntu repositories are somewhat behind. This is good for users who like the latest releases that usually have a fair amount of bug fixes and new features (but also sometimes add some bugs also). They usually aren't yet in the Ubuntu repositories for some time.

for example exaile has one supplied on there website http://www.exaile.org/downloads

Code: Select all

deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/syzygy42 gutsy exaile
what would be nice is to see this implemented as much as possible so that it encourages more software makers to supply a repository for downloading and maintaining more up-to-date versions of there program rather then waiting for or relying on Ubuntu.

I'd also like to see the actual version number to be displayed, so that you can tell before you download a program what version you are installing, that would be quite nice to have and that information should be automatically updated so it's never behind.
Good call. I think this would really be a more effective way for mintInstall to work...

--Akshun J

Return to “Software & Applications”