Any idea why my USB external HDD is so freakin SLOW ?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DSpider

Any idea why my USB external HDD is so freakin SLOW ?

Post by DSpider »

The problem is that I copies around 50 mb then stops. Then some time passes by, it copies another 5-10 mb, stops, then some time passes some more and then again, 5-10 mb every 30 seconds or so. W.T.F. ?! It took over 30 minutes to copy some home-made short movies (aprox. 100 mb each file). They're in quicktime format but it does exactly the same with any other file. So it's not the format of the files at fault here... Not to mention that larger files take FOREVER to copy-paste. Why is this ?

The HDD is formatted as NTFS from back in the day when I thought Windows was the ****. And it still is. (**** I mean) I've checked the BIOS and the USB mode is set as "USB 1.1+2.0".

Why is this happening ? The external drive is a Samsung HDD, 500 GB, 16 mb buffer, USB. I got it cheap but that's not the point. On Windows XP it performed splendidly. What should I do ? Convert it to ext3 ? Thank you.
Husse

Re: Any idea why my USB external HDD is so freakin SLOW ?

Post by Husse »

I put my backups on an external 160 GB USB disk that's also powered by USB
It is probably a bit faster than the IDE disk in a casing I used on my other desktop (I use Elyssa on both)
Can't remember how it is formatted, but it's probably vfat (Properties say msdos)
So it's definitely not Elyssa at fault, but it seems like some buffer is filled and emptied..
Btw there's a vast difference between mb (which does not exist) and MB
DSpider

Post by DSpider »

I'm using Elyssa too... "LinuxMint-5-r1.iso" using Gnome.

PS: mb, MB, megabytes... Whatever. 500 GB or 465.76 GiB. You get the point. Don't be a dick. :)

I think the NTFS driver (ntfs-3g ?) is broken or something. The speed I'm getting is absurd ! Any file under 30 "MB" is copied just fine and dandy. But for a larger file... say... 31 MB, the copying progress bar is displayed as 30 MB, stops for about 30 seconds then resumes. The red LED isn't blinking (ie. no HDD activity) when it stops copying. Not to meantion the high CPU usage. confused...

It's starting to **** me off.
Last edited by Oscar799 on Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offensive word removed
Husse

Post by Husse »

This topic is closed and locked due to the behaviour of the poster

Return to “Hardware Support”