Remove X/KDE Login at boot up

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rec9140

Remove X/KDE Login at boot up

Post by rec9140 »

I am looking to figure out a means to either start KRDC so that it is available at KDM login screen so that an KRDC connection can be made or something else for a remote x login.

I really would prefer not to use XDCMP as unless you tunnel it via SSH etc. its not secure. Yes KRDC is not encrypted either, I've got some other tricks up my sleeve on that BUT I can not get to them till KRDC starts and its not started at the KDM login prompt.

I need a remote X desktop and if you reboot KRDC doesn't start till AFTER the login prompt is completed. :(

Any way to get KRDC to start earlier??? Or is XDCMP the only way to do remote X? ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Remove X/KDE Login at boot up

Post by Husse »

Take a look at this
http://people.w3.org/~dom/archives/2005 ... -with-gdm/
According to the author this should also work to start a remote KDE session through kdm
Note - I haven't got a clue :) I have no need for a remote session so I don't want to use more of my precious data storage on top of my body :)
rec9140

Re: Remove X/KDE Login at boot up

Post by rec9140 »

Husse wrote:Take a look at this
http://people.w3.org/~dom/archives/2005 ... -with-gdm/
According to the author this should also work to start a remote KDE session through kdm
Note - I haven't got a clue :) I have no need for a remote session so I don't want to use more of my precious data storage on top of my body :)
Thanks, that article does XDCMP which is basically X over IP...... I am trying to stray away from that, as I can't always guarantee I have an X terminal available where as VNC proliferates even on winslop. Walk into some place like a library or some office winslop machines all over the place, UltraVNC or some VNC is likely to be on a PC in there and I can get in to my box at the office or home. I would prefer to not leave it on and logged in, even if its locked. If its stuck at the login screen its a little more secure.

X is great in that it allows for X to be transported alot of ways allowing for remote working.

I was hopiong that the KRFB daemon could be started as part of the boot up process so that the KDM login would appear for a KRDC/VNC client. This is akin to a winslop service.

It appears that XDCMP is the only way to do this on Linux as the server.

Thanks for the link. I guess I will just have to accept that remote XDCMP is the way to go..

This is one of the reasons an install to USB stick would make my life so much easier...then I could guarantee I had an X terminal. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”