How do you rearrange the bootloader?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

How do you rearrange the bootloader?

Post by Helmut »

Hi Folks,
I'm wondering are there any graphical tools for re-sorting the bootloader in Mint? I know Mandriva has it, but where is it in Mint?

I'd like to know how to change the default OS, the waiting time for keyboard input, etc. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Helmut
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: How do you rearrange the bootloader?

Post by msuggs »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install startupmanager
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Run a little "sudo gedit" magic on /boot/grub/menu.lst
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

This is a quote from my /boot/grub/menu.lst:
.....quote/
## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
# WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not change this entry to 'saved' or your
# array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
default 0
.....endquote/

Just edit this file as suggested above and change the number 0 (zero) to 1 (one), or whatever. eg:

If you only have say Linux and Windows as your two entries, in that order, Linux will be 0 and Windows will be 1. The default boot os is determined by the number you use above.

Easy peasy,
rhodry.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

rhodry FTW!

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
But alas Helmut doesn't want to know how easy it is to edit menu.lst, but instead wants a graphical interface to make it easier to do. I don't think I'm alone in believing this to be counterproductive, as I find (and I know I'm not alone in this) that it is so much simpler/faster/easier to 'sudo gedit' and get-er-done than it is to apt-get up some package, see it install, edit mintmenu, and launch the app.

Race ya!
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

omns wrote:

sudo apt-get install startupmanager
I certainly prefer using startupmanager.

Once installed just go to Control Center > System > Startup Manager.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

AK Dave wrote: I don't think I'm alone in believing this to be counterproductive, as I find (and I know I'm not alone in this) that it is so much simpler/faster/easier to 'sudo gedit' and get-er-done than it is to apt-get up some package, see it install, edit mintmenu, and launch the app. !
Yes, but variety is the spice as they say and the OP wants a gui solution. I like both solutions depending on the task at hand :)
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

Problem solved! Thanks a lot everyone!

Let me make a remark: As a Linux user since 1998 (SUSE 5.?) I know very well the CLI can make complicated things much easier. But the catch: only if you can remember the stuff! I have seriously spent weeks trying to learn, but it just doesn't sink in... (I'm saying this as an engineer with three degrees in electronics, being technical director of a leading electronics company.)
I really think Linux will only then have a chance of becoming mainstream when using a terminal becomes 100% superfluous.
CLI is great for those understanding it, but not of much use and more like a hindrance for average folks like me. Just my opinion.
Helmut
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Helmut wrote:CLI is great for those understanding it, but not of much use and more like a hindrance for average folks like me. Just my opinion.
Helmut
I see your point, but I'll tell you what I do. Like you I understand the power of the command line, and also like you I have trouble remembering how to do things with it. My solution to this is that I keep an extensive text file with all the CLI operations that I've ever used that I feel I will use again. When I want to do something I simply open the file and cut and paste into the terminal. I find this to be far more powerful than any GUI.

Return to “Installation & Boot”