connecting two laptops

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fleamailman

connecting two laptops

Post by fleamailman »

Ok, I have two laptops running mint Daryna, love them both but I now want of upgrade one of the laptops so I want to transfer files from one to the other without using a USB key, so I am thinking of a USB link cable as I have one but I don't know what program goes with Mint, nor how to go about it.

failing the above the other idea is to put one of the harddrives in a caddy but again I don't know if it would be recognised nor if I could get up my files like this way
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: connecting two laptops

Post by msuggs »

I've never used a USB link cable but you could try a crossover network cable and then just enable file sharing on the machine you want to move the files from.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

Mr Shakespeare said:
"... How do I transfer thee, let me count the ways....." or something similar? :)

I am assuming you simply want to keep some data and/or config files safe while you do the upgrade on one machine. I would suggest just burn the files you want off to a cd/dvd and return them after the upgrade.

If there are two (and only two) computers involved, pick yourself up a cat5 crossover cable for a couple of bucks and set them up as a simple peer to peer network. You then have a number of file transfer options available to you. Mind you a small USB stick costs next to nothing these days as well.

I suggest rsync (grsync frontend) is a better option than straight copy, but either will suffice.

When you do the upgrade ( to Elyssa I assume), and assuming you have your data backed up somewhere else, I suggest you do a clean install, use manual partitioning and create three partitions as part of the install; "/" for the os, "swap", and "/home". Return your data to the /home partition and thereafter you can change the os as much as you like without affecting your data files.

Good luck,
rhodry
fleamailman

Post by fleamailman »

thanks I have those solutions open to me but there are detractions in that the DVD cost and cannot be changed whereas the external harddrive idea is best though since I have a link cable(usb) which I would like to learn how to use in future to use between computers and yet it doesn't' seem to work out of the box so I would like to know what the steps are to make it function,

also, I think I have a crossover cable somewhere too, which I would also like to learn how to use that too

what would be ideal would be some sort of way of directly transfering things like bookmarks, and file from one system to another

Return to “Beginner Questions”