Some partitioning questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AK Dave

Re: Some partitioning questions

Post by AK Dave »

Superhero Tony wrote:Will there be any problems setting up another partition?
No.
Superhero Tony wrote:Next question is about upgrading/trying new distros. I use programs like ushare / hellanzb and Amarock. Do these have to be freshly installed and set up again when you try a new distro?
Yes and no. If your main linux install is done with a seperate /home partition then any other distro install can be directed to the same /home and will find all of your .config files just fine; however, many distros don't install amarok or those other apps by default and thus you'll still end up using the package manager to install those apps.
Superhero Tony wrote:Is there a way the likes of Amarock can access my mp3s in my windows partition without copying mp3s to my Linux partition.
Yes.

Oh, you wanted to know HOW to do this?

Yeah, mount the windows partition in linux and direct amarok to search from there for music. This will likely require editing your fstab. I suggest a mount point of /C and then it is just a matter of drilling down to the directory where the precious MP3 files are stashed. Or, my personal preference, create a seperate partition independant of windows that is only for media files and format it as fat32 so it can be seen from both linux and windows. Mount, drill, enjoy.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Re: Some partitioning questions

Post by AK Dave »

Linux partition size perfection is impossible to achieve as any partition scheme favored by one goober will be flamebait to another. Nevertheless, there is a most excellent partition tutorial in this forum and linked to from the Mint wiki.

My favorite tutorial on partitioning is here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=a

Its my favorite because I contributed love to it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”