Elyssa MD5SUM failure of MD5SUM-file!?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Elyssa-wannabe

Elyssa MD5SUM failure of MD5SUM-file!?

Post by Elyssa-wannabe »

Hi!

Heard a lot of fuzz about the linux Mint and thought about giving it a try. Downloaded the Elyssa .iso with correct checksum and thus burnt it. HOWEVER this is the output when checking the burned cd against the md5sum.txt:

Code: Select all

md5sum -c /media/cdrom0/md5sum.txt
./.disk/casper-uuid-generic: OK
./.disk/info: OK
./.disk/release_notes_url: OK
./.disc_id: OK
./isolinux/vesamenu.c32: OK
./isolinux/isolinux.bin: OK
./isolinux/isolinux.cfg: OK
./isolinux/boot.cat: OK
./isolinux/isolinux.cfg.ori: OK
./isolinux/memtest: OK
./isolinux/splash.jpg: OK
./md5sum.txt: FAILED
./preseed/ltsp.seed: OK
./preseed/cli.seed: OK
./preseed/mint.seed: OK
./drivers/mintWifi.README: OK
./drivers/broadcom-b43xx/wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o: OK
./drivers/broadcom-b43xx/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2: OK
./drivers/broadcom-b43xx/b43-fwcutter_011-1_i386.deb: OK
./casper/initrd.gz: OK
./casper/filesystem.manifest: OK
./casper/vmlinuz: OK
./casper/filesystem.manifest-desktop: OK
./casper/filesystem.squashfs: OK
md5sum: WARNING: 1 of 24 computed checksums did NOT match

:roll:

....I.E. checksum for the actual md5sum.txt *itself* fails (./md5sum.txt: FAILED). I've tried downloading from two different official mirrors and burnt it in both brasero and nautilus, with same annoying faliure as above as result!!

This is very annoying. I will not install this distro if I can't ensure it's integrity! It seem 'just' to be on the md5sum.txt file but if that is the case how can I ensure the correctness of the rest...Any idea how I should proceed? Someone noticed the same or know about the cause?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Elyssa MD5SUM failure of MD5SUM-file!?

Post by Husse »

Check the entire ISO against the md5sum listed on the download page
That is OK if you have an OK ISO
I'm not sure about the md5sum of the md5sum.txt file....
However I will check it out
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

The md5sum file within the CD itself isn't properly updated. It's there for isolinux to be able to check the integrity of the CD but it's an option we removed from the boot menu... We can look into this and see if we can add that option to isolinux for future releases but in the meantime you can't rely on that file, it doesn't contain the correct MD5 signatures.

Clem.
Elyssa-wannabe

Post by Elyssa-wannabe »

The md5sum file within the CD itself isn't properly updated. It's there for isolinux to be able to check the integrity of the CD but it's an option we removed from the boot menu... We can look into this and see if we can add that option to isolinux for future releases but in the meantime you can't rely on that file, it doesn't contain the correct MD5 signatures.
OK thanks for the reply. :)

Even though isolinux doesn't use it, it doesn't prevent users from trying against it manually... :|
So if it's not correct I guess you could either remove it or replace it with a correct one. Howevwer leaving a corrupt one should not be an alternative.
Whether isolinux is suppose to use it or not, that's another question....
The main problem is that the md5sum.txt seem to be corrupt and that's not good. :(

Return to “Installation & Boot”