sytem hangs a lot when ripping DVDs

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
klemperal

sytem hangs a lot when ripping DVDs

Post by klemperal »

I'm not really sure why, but my system hangs, runs slow, and is unresponsive when I'm ripping DVDs on mint. I have plenty of space on my drive and 2 gigs of ram so I don't think thats the issue--especially since it doesn't happen on my XP partition. Any ideas on how I could speed things up or what the problem could be?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux n00b

Re: sytem hangs a lot when ripping DVDs

Post by Linux n00b »

what software do you use? The best so far is k9copy. If you have problem with other software, try k9copy first.
klemperal

Post by klemperal »

I use ripit4me, dvdfab and vobcopy. Vobcopy (a linux program) makes stuff run slow just like the windows programs so I don't think its an issue with wine. I'll check K9copy out again, but doesn't it only allow you to rip 1 audio and 1 sub scripture stream?
klemperal

Post by klemperal »

Ok, running K9copy right now and it's making things just as sluggish as the other programs mentioned above. Any other ideas?
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

It sounds like something wrong with your Linux. k9copy runs very fast on my laptop. backup a DVD would take me about 40min and that's with 20 - 30% CPU usage (couldn't remember memory usage, but it is pretty low). I have 4G RAM and a mid-low performance CPU (Core2 Duo T5870) in today's market term.

Only couple of things I could think of.

1. Do you have any issue playing DVD on your computer? I read sometimes DMA mode is not enabled for your dvd drive, and playback (or anything else) will be very slow. I trust you can google this.

2. have you monitored your system resource usage?

Return to “Beginner Questions”