Release: Linux Mint 5 XFCE CE

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Release: Linux Mint 5 XFCE CE

Post by clem »

We are proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 5 XFCE Community Edition.

For a list of improvements, new features, known issues and download mirrors please read the release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa_xfce.php

I would like to thank and to congratulate Merlwiz79 for maintaining this wonderful edition. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as we had fun releasing it. Have fun and don't hesitate to give us some feedback.

Clem.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa XFCE Community Edition

Post by nelamvr6 »

Excellent news!

Congratulations to Merlwiz79!

I have one quick question: I have the latest beta (it's GREAT!), is there a compelling reason to upgrade right away?
twin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twin »

Congratulations Merlwiz79! Thank you for all the hard work! The result is excelent!!!

@nelamvr6: maybe you should have a look at this thread: http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=16264 :wink:
matthekc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by matthekc »

I can't wait to download the finished product, thanks merlwiz79.
ashwinhgtx

Post by ashwinhgtx »

Thanks Merlwiz79!!!
anthony2010

Post by anthony2010 »

Great!

I have xfce4. So can I just upgrade it or do I need to remove all my files then go for a fresh install?

ant.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

twin wrote:Congratulations Merlwiz79! Thank you for all the hard work! The result is excelent!!!

@nelamvr6: maybe you should have a look at this thread: http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=16264 :wink:
Thanks!
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Many thanks Merlwiz79.
Having great fun already with the Beta.

I think a re-install is required. Should I use APTonCD to restore the additional installed software?

Oliverjames
jtouso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jtouso »

Excellent Mint XFCE 5!
In live mode, with my Ati 9550 and Compiz running well!
I want to look my xorg.conf and I find a simple xorg.conf with a few lines and without the "normal" lines as driver "ati" (or radeon) and options like Composite in Section Extensions or XAANoOffscreenPixmaps on >Device.
How works the Mint xorg.conf and how can I tweak it?
Thanks
mkb

Post by mkb »

Well done and congratulations! I've been waiting for this low overhead variant to install on some of the older items on our household "museum of late 20th and early 21st century computing"!

I'm just an ordinary Linux user (err, a luser?) with few technical skills, but the family have found that Mint under gnome has been the most "useable" and straightforward version we've used over the last decade since stumbling across Linux and Suse back in err 6.2 days. Our use of Linux is largely "political" in that we support the ideals and despise the corporate crime of such as MS. But the relative absence of virii etc. is also rather attractive >;)

Despite this long time we've had to do little real problem solving - chosen kit with care for driver availability etc. so otherwise we are a good testbed family for "realworld" and very ordinary domestic and home-work use (my wife works from home some days of the week using OpenOffice suite, with no problems for her office time).

Will be downloading tonight as it is approaching the witching hour here in Blighty and not anti-social to do a iso snaffle down the copper wire from our groaning exchange!
Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thomas »

Downloading it now.
Congrats!
UsuRpergoat

Post by UsuRpergoat »

mkb wrote:Will be downloading tonight as it is approaching the witching hour here in Blighty and not anti-social to do a iso snaffle down the copper wire from our groaning exchange!
Ha! Couldn't have said it better myself! :D
Well done Merlwiz79 and Clem.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

As someone who has previously enjoyed using XFCE with Zenwalk, I might just have to give this a go. Thanks Merlwiz79 :)
Bali

Post by Bali »

Hi,

Great! I am running to download it !

Thank you for this great job.

Bali
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

omns wrote:As someone who has previously enjoyed using XFCE with Zenwalk, I might just have to give this a go. Thanks Merlwiz79 :)
Dito, this might put me back in the Mint world again!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

Merlwiz79.

Congratulations on the new XFCE, it's excellent!

I've tried the versions on several distros, and yours is by far the best.

Only run it on the liveCD at the moment, but am looking forward to installing it in the next couple of days.

I have one problem with it (which is almost certainly a "keithp" bug rather than an XFCE one). I'll start a new thread for it.

Cheers and thanks.

Keith
SpudGun

Post by SpudGun »

Great work Merlwiz79, id'e given up on xfce since xubuntu never produced a good one after feisty, now i've fallen in love all over again.
Roffen

Post by Roffen »

HI.
This look's interessted.
What would be the minimal system demands on this?
CPU, RAM, etc.. Want to used with very old laptop.

Is there different when using LiveCD or Install? Or will it be installed if the LiveCD works?

Courious regards
bigred

Post by bigred »

bigredJust downloaded the Mint 5 Elyssa. Well, I would love to say I love it, but as a first time Linux user I am a newbie trying to cope.

First thing, I use to have a wireless internet connection. Now, I need some direction trying to get this enabled again. It's gone!

I installed Mint 5 completly on my laptop, not running live cd.

Secondly, I think my screen resolution is mismatched, becuase every window to every software program becomes way too large when maximized. Meaning, the window must resized while not in maximized mode, never in maximized mode actually.

Tried going to terminal and using some commands to find the screen resolution add in but failed.

Can someone give some directions here ?
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

bigred wrote:bigredJust downloaded the Mint 5 Elyssa. Well, I would love to say I love it, but as a first time Linux user I am a newbie trying to cope.

First thing, I use to have a wireless internet connection. Now, I need some direction trying to get this enabled again. It's gone!

I installed Mint 5 completly on my laptop, not running live cd.

Secondly, I think my screen resolution is mismatched, becuase every window to every software program becomes way too large when maximized. Meaning, the window must resized while not in maximized mode, never in maximized mode actually.

Tried going to terminal and using some commands to find the screen resolution add in but failed.

Can someone give some directions here ?
These problems are fixable, but you'll probably have better luck either searching the "Newbie Question" forums or posting questions there.

Just work on one problem at a time and you'll get there. I can promise you that the end result will be worth the trouble, and after working your way through you will have learned a lot!

Notebook wireless problems are fairly common, you will for certain be able to get help on this. And the screen resolution settings issue is also fairly easily fixed.

Good luck and welcome to Linux and to Linux Mint!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”