BusyBox/Laptop Live CD

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

BusyBox/Laptop Live CD

Post by Meteor »

Well, well, this is obviously an item that is causing the world of Mint users and hopeful users a lot of concern. I've read through some of the postings and see that if I have a laptop (which I do), download and burn Elyssa (full edition) onto a CD, then restart my system to see what's new since (I think) Mint 3, I will get the "BusyBox" message and freeze. Yep, I'm one of many. I'd like to see what Elyssa has and I'm tired of KDE from my current OS, so I thought I'd try Mint again.

Do I understand correctly from the long list of Forum concerns re BusyBox (which doesn't appear to be very busy IMHO... It does nothing except freeze the system) and laptops, that essentially I should do a cold boot with the CD in the drive and Elyssa should present herself in glorious colour (black...). I'm just heading out the door so I'll check back in a few hours (work, y'know...) to see if I've read the posts correctly, if you would be kind enough to confirm or point me to the actual 'fix'.

Any points, thoughts, solid fixes would be appreciated.

Til later,
Meteor
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: BusyBox/Laptop Live CD

Post by Meteor »

Interesting. It appeared to me that the BusyBox (whatever that is) and laptop would have been a unique situation and there is a resolution. I thank the 14 or so people who read my original post. I guess it's only a very, very few of us that run into this situation...

You can close this message. I shall find a distro that likes my laptop and sends the BusyBox to the showers.

Meteor
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Search is your friend. The #1 most common cause of these "busybox" problems is a poorly burned CD. The most common solution is to burn again at the slowest possible speed. Sometimes the burner itself (hardware) is part of the problem. Sometimes the software used to burn is part of the problem. If you use the search option for these forums, or use google ("busybox error") you'll find what I just pointed out to be true.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Meteor »

Thanks for your suggestion, AK Dave, but I had made a search for 'Busybox' in both the Linux Mint forum and via Google. The best I was able to determine was that Elyssa and Laptops have some type of disagreement that has not, as yet, been sorted out. Hence, the LiveCD and the installation of Elyssa will need to wait until the next version of MInt ("******a"-- forget the name at this time) is released. Perhaps, then, the new girl will like my laptop and run...

For another month or two, I shall continue on with my current (non-Mint) OS. It's working fine though I liked previous releases of Mint and thought that I would go back to it.

Linux OS's have their challenges and it makes using a PC/Laptop interesting but does let me get my work done. I'll keep and eye on the Mint Forum and see what's happening and hopefully with the release of the next version ALL laptops will be included and "Busybox" will be sent to the showers.

BTW, my Laptop is a Gateway with an "AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology" according the the sticker on next to the finger-mouse-thingy. (I use a wireless mouse on my desk) and the system has been with me for 2 1/2 years -- yes in had XP on it, note "had"-- and Elyssa is the only distro that I've tried lately that hasn't installed. I am not a distro-surfer but will consider a change now and then...

Meteor
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

This may help but without knowing why busybox is showing up it's hard to figure out what to fix.
http://linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Tro ... ur_Live_CD
Try booting with irqpoll.

Also you could install Daryna and upgrade to Elyssa.
Not the recommended option but it could be done.

Felicia will be released sometime after Ubuntu Intrepid.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Meteor »

G'day, eh!

After some hunting and searching again through the Mint Forum and on Google, it appears that "Busybox" is not a Mint situation but Ubuntu's. It seems that their forum has had numerous people complaining about the mysterious, seemingly useless "Busybox" halting their attempts to install Ubuntu (and, presumably, other direct variations of Ubuntu). So, I thought that it may behoove me to try a different version of Mint and see what happens. Are they all afflicted by the "Busybox" disease with no apparent remedy at hand?

I downloaded Linux Mint Xfce CE (y'all love initials, eh?) and here I am responding to this message from the Xfce Live CD. Xfce started and is running very smoothly. I've never used Xfce before and going back to Gnome. I'll play with Xfce for a while on the Live CD to see if it works smoothly, easily and without too many confusions (for a N00B, at least wtih Xfce). If it's all to my liking, then I will be back in the Mint fold.

I realize that I may have posted this message/situation description originally in the wrong forum. Sorry 'bout that, chief. However, it's here and I thank those few who have responded and all those who have read the posts here.

I still hope, however, that the "Busybox" disease will not be prevalent in Felicia and she and I will be able to dance smoothly and lovingly. I guess I'll check back in a few weeks/months when Felicia makes her appearance and leaving "Busybox" outside in the cold rain...

Off to search the large selection of programs available in Daryna Xfce CE and see what trouble I'll get into.

Meteor http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/posting. ... 49&t=16629#

Return to “Hardware Support”