XFCE vs Main

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
r1bby

XFCE vs Main

Post by r1bby »

OK I am a little confused here, I am currently using the Mint 5.0 Elyssa Main edition &
I can read about both versions of Mint on the website however, which is better XFCE or Main? As that has me :-)
I'm happy with the Main version I am using, but which should I be recommending to my friends, family & colleagues?!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Re: XFCE vs Main

Post by nelamvr6 »

The Xfce version is lighter on resources and therefore much more responsive. The trade off is that it is slightly less customizable. It doesn't have the MintMenu for example, it lacks a few of the bells and whistles that the Main Edition has.

As for which to recommend, well that's not always easy. What is their experience level? Are they computer savvy?

If they have modest equipment, they may enjoy Xfce better since it is designed to do more with less...
r1bby

Post by r1bby »

Thanks for your response I was beginning to think that was a stupid question with no replies :-)
I was kind of hoping the answer would be akin to Main vs Lite, similar yet different, and it is.
Personally I'm not sure that MintMenu is an acceptable trade off for speed as it's a very good part of Mint,
I suppose the best thing to do is try it and see what I think :-) But at least I know what to expect now, thanks for your response.
Regards,
Rob
P.S. England won, I'm well chuffed :-D x100
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

That's one of the things that are great about LivCDs, you can try it without installing...
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

You can install mintMenu, takes longer to load on login but does work.
You have to install xfce4-xfapplet-plugin gnome-menus and mintmenu.
Then add XfApplet and select mintMenu.
It won't show all the apps because it displays Gnome only apps not XFCE.(most are in mintConfig)
Also the top 3, Desktop, Trash, Control Center, Terminal and Quit won't work.
I could make a new package to fix most of this though.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

In my mind the speed and snappiness is more than a fair trade for the MintMenu.

The MintMenu is nice, but I already don't miss it after only a couple of days with Xfce.

My opinion is don't add it, or at least make it optional.

It's not a bad thing to have distinct personalities between the various Mint flavors, yes?
r1bby

Post by r1bby »

Oh no I agree, choice is the best thing about Linux (any flavour)
without it the OS would be boring, stagnent, and slow (ala MS Windows :lol: )

I've got a new 250gb 16mb ram sata300 HDD to try it out on, I'll give it a whirl,
(however I'm particularly looking forward to the 64bit version to finally fully utilise my 4gb RAM)
I was thinking about getting another drive and getting a RAID 0 set up between the two for faster operation,
(I can't afford the Raptor HDD's, so I was thinking a couple of 16mb cache memory HDD's should make a fair substitute)

I'm new to this Linux OS game, I was Windows XP for 5/6 years and got fed up of the s-l-o-w speed,
so I decided to upgrade my PC, which I ended up making an entire new PC from scratch,
I then decided to give Linux Mint a whirl as I read in PC Answers magazine, on the letters page,
that some guy recommended it, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. (i'll dig that out and scan it in and post it for reading).
I've completely removed XP now and am 100% Mint, I've been using it for 6 months now and love it,
it's fast, it's different & it's fun. Even the missus can use it and she's computer illiterate.
That's the thing with computers, once you've tasted an improved version you don't realise it until you go back to the old version, I recently put XP back onto an old 40gb HDD and it's so slow! I can't understand the market dominanace of such a poor OS?

One happy Mint customer here & if anyone is reading this thinking about trying Mint out, give it a whirl, you won't regret it.
#4 on the distrowatch website, which ain't bad for a new OS against the big boys of Linux.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

I've built a few machine in my time also. I did it mostly for fun, and it was quite a lot of fun.

Now I'm waiting for the Nehalems to hit the street before I make any hardware moves.

If it's speed you like, and you think that Mint is quick, just wait til you try Xfce! :D
r1bby

Post by r1bby »

I just installed it onto my new HDD and, my God, it's quick!
You don't realise how quick it is until you go back to the Main version.
(It reminds me of the speed difference I felt between XP & Elyssa Main)

I'm still not convinced on the loss of Gnome desktop, I really like it.
I like my fancy Compiz graphics & classier looking OS.
I shall have a proper play a dig a little deeper to compare between the two,
from my first initial feelings it's a mix between Mint & DSL, as in powerful yet basic cosmetics.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

r1bby wrote:I just installed it onto my new HDD and, my God, it's quick!
You don't realise how quick it is until you go back to the Main version.
(It reminds me of the speed difference I felt between XP & Elyssa Main)

I'm still not convinced on the loss of Gnome desktop, I really like it.
I like my fancy Compiz graphics & classier looking OS.
I shall have a proper play a dig a little deeper to compare between the two,
from my first initial feelings it's a mix between Mint & DSL, as in powerful yet basic cosmetics.

You can have Compiz on Xfce!

Just go check out the Desktop Screenshot thread here!

Check out page 20, my desktop is posted there...
r1bby

Post by r1bby »

I have compiz running on my main set up,
and I've just found so far the flip between screens,
wobbly windows
show desktop to corners
rotate between 4 screens
I haven't got the globe worked out just yet - very cool :D

Trouble is there are so many options to make it unique you'll be there forever playing :D
Perhaps too much choice is counter productive :lol:
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

r1bby wrote:
Can be but WOW.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

r1bby wrote:I have compiz running on my main set up,
and I've just found so far the flip between screens,
wobbly windows
show desktop to corners
rotate between 4 screens
I haven't got the globe worked out just yet - very cool :D

Trouble is there are so many options to make it unique you'll be there forever playing :D

Don't forget to post a screenshot of your desktop in the screenshot thread... Image

Return to “Xfce”