Playing a DVD

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Playing a DVD

Post by keithp »

I have been trying out Mint5 Elyssa XFCE Community Edition, just running it on the liveCD.

When I run the live CD of a new distro to try, one of the tests I do is to run a DVD. It's only a non-encrypted promotion video, so usually runs OK. However with the new XFCE, when MPlayer starts, it gives me the error message:

Failed to open vcd://2

This is a new error message to me, and I am at a loss to know what it means or how I can overcome the problem. There's probably a very simple solution! Perhaps it will be OK after I have installed?

I don't want to make a big thing of this, I'm just wondering why it's happening.

Can anyone throw some light on this, please?

Many thanks

Keith
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Playing a DVD

Post by merlwiz79 »

The Live CD doesn't mount the DVD to /media/cdrom like it does after install.
Not sure why it doesn't do it correctly but might be a problem with the new kernel.
If you still want to test it change the DVD device to /dev/scd0 for the 1st DVD drive or /dev/scd1 for the 2nd.(in mplayer)
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Playing a DVD

Post by keithp »

Thanks for the explanation, merlwiz79, I appreciate it.

I'll wait until I've installed XFCE, rather than changing the DVD now.

Cheers

Keith

Return to “Xfce”