Need a new laptop now!

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
morty007

Need a new laptop now!

Post by morty007 »

I am moving onto a new job and need a laptop very quickly. I've never owned one before, but I've had dell's that were great. I'm looking at either a Inspiron 1420 that I will dual boot, or a Thinkpad. I've heard thinkpads are great with linux and work "out of the box" but I don't know anything about the brand really. Please give me any input or suggestions you might have!

Regards,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
awong
Level 2
Level 2

Re: New a new laptop now!

Post by awong »

Are you dual-booting because you need Windows at work? If not, you could get a Dell pre-loaded with Linux and then install Mint over it. Otherwise, go the dual-boot route with a notebook/laptop that is known to work with Linux, i.e., the pre-loaded Dells are alright. I don't have any experiences with Thinkpads; someone else could help you there, although I've read positive reports regarding Thinkpads.
morty007

Re: Need a new laptop now!

Post by morty007 »

I guess I really don't need a dual boot machine, but was thinking of one just for a backup OS or test stuff if something goes wrong. The Dell sales rep I spoke to has only sold 2 linux machines in the 2 years he's been with Dell.

Return to “Hardware Support”