Faster boot

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tha_lode

Faster boot

Post by tha_lode »

Is there a way to shave off stuff I don't need so the computer will boot faster?

Stuff I don't use: Bluetooth, wifi, printing.
It is only used for playing MP3 files over Lan from a XP server and some surfing in Firefox.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Faster boot

Post by 900i »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install preload
http://www.techthrob.com/tech/preload.php

And when you have got your system set as you like it, then interrupt the grub menu booting and add "profile" to the end of the parameters and continue booting.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
zaheermk
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Faster boot

Post by zaheermk »

The three items which you mentioned are key items to get your desktop loaded faster.

To edit the daemons / process that start at boot time, open Menu> System> Services. Unlock the window with your user password. If you don't use,
1. Printing devices, turn off CUPS. (this one usually takes a lot of time for loading).
2. Bluetooth enabled devices, turn off Bluetooth.
3. WiFi enabled devices, turn off any WiFi services.

Now, in Menu> Settings> Autostarted Applications, if you don't use
1. Printing devices, turn off Print Queue Applet
2. WiFi enabled devices, turn off Wicd.

Alternatively, you can remove CUPS, Bluetooth and WIcd related S/W from you system through Synaptic package manager. But, mind the dependencies, please; i.e. don't remove any S/W on which your other required S/W is also dependent. There are many printer drivers from HP and others, and all the three S/W categories mentioned, put together take more than 100MB of harddisk space. If you would like to experiment or are pressed for harddisk space, go ahead and remove them. If you have enough harddisk space, you can refrain from taking the pains of hunting for these programs in the package manager and relax.

Return to “Xfce”