Dual Boot/Partitioning Questions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Dual Boot/Partitioning Questions

Post by Acid_1 »

Hmm I was just about to go to gparted to help you then I realized I was running Windows cause I haven't reinstalled Mint yet haha. On Mint's livecd during the install:

Delete the ext2/3 partition Ubuntu is on, and the swap, now you should be left with a blank spot. Extend the Windows partion to what ever you want. Create 9 - 9.5 Gb for Mint and the rest for swap. This process can take close to an hour. I have 512 Mb ram and a 24x cd drive. Then complete the installer. Enjoy :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

I hope this isn't a thread crap, and I don't want to seem like I'm assuming too much, but do you realize that you could buy a 160GB notebook hard drive right now for $70? You could double your available HDD space for $70. $70 delivered to your door.

I'm not making this up, just check here.

Hard drive space is one of the cheapest factors in computing today, trying to shoehorn everything you do into too little space doesn't have to happen. Just get a bigger drive. Problem solved.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Some people, (like me) have no time/want/care/money to upgrade. I am perfectly fine with my 60Gb hdd. The solution does not have to be, "go buy a new drive". I personally just don't want to deal with the hassle of installing a new drive. Notebooks are a pita when trying to do anything to them.
Last edited by Acid_1 on Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Acid_1 wrote:Some people, (like me) have no time/want/care/money to upgrade. I am perfectly fine with my 60Gb hdd. The solution does not have to be, "go buy a new drive". That's not very helpful. I personally just don't want to deal with the hassle of installing a new drive. Notebooks are a pita when trying to do anything to them.
With all due respect, that makes no sense whatsoever.

You don't have time to install a new drive, but you have time to constantly figure out how to make due with a too small drive, time to figure out what you can keep and what you can't, time to move the stuff you need to keep to an external storage device of some sort...

But you don't have time to fix the problem once and for all...

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and to do things the way you want. But saying that my suggestion was unhelpful is also a matter of opinion, and I feel that ultimately my suggestion was for a much better solution.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

I'm sorry. I guess the better thing would be that some of us are too lazy or just don't have the extra cash I suppose.
Fred

Post by Fred »

nelamvr6,

With all due respect, I would suggest you open your mind and broaden your horizons a bit. In New London, CT, USA, $70.00 US may not seem to be a lot of money, but in many parts of the world $70.00 US is a months, or more, pay. That is assuming that drive can even be bought for that sum there. The thread starter didn't say where he was so I would have to assume he had good reason for not simply going out and purchasing a larger drive.

Acid_1's answer to the question was the one the thread starter was looking for. You suggestion may be a better alternative for some but was not what the thread starter was looking for.

Just another view point. :-)

Fred
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Fred wrote:nelamvr6,

With all due respect, I would suggest you open your mind and broaden your horizons a bit. In New London, CT, USA, $70.00 US may not seem to be a lot of money, but in many parts of the world $70.00 US is a months, or more, pay. That is assuming that drive can even be bought for that sum there. The thread starter didn't say where he was so I would have to assume he had good reason for not simply going out and purchasing a larger drive.

Acid_1's answer to the question was the one the thread starter was looking for. You suggestion may be a better alternative for some but was not what the thread starter was looking for.

Just another view point. :-)

Fred
$70 is a months pay? Where do you live?

Not anywhere in the US.

$70 is a fairly decent date, $70 is 2 fairly decent bottles of wine.

If you don't want to spend the cash on the hardware, that's your decision, Anywhere in the USA $70 is not a lot of cash. Period.

Like I posted earlier, you're entitled to do as you wish, go ahead and play around with 60GB hard drives if that is what you think the best course of action is. I will be over here, pointing and giggling...

Actually, that's not true.

I won't be thinking at all about people trying to use 60GB hard drives in 2008... they're simply too silly for me to waste my time....

Return to “Installation & Boot”