Print from OpenOffice

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Print from OpenOffice

Post by oliverjames »

I've been using OOffice for many years and living with an annoying problem. Today, whether in Mint or XP, using the latest OOffice version, I cannot print a page if it contains an embedded image (the image prints but not the text). I can make a pdf of the page and print it but I would prefer to print from OOffice. I've scoured the OOffice forum but none of the suggested "fixes" have worked for me.

Has anyone seen a fix for this?

I also find it impossible to print envelopes from OOffice when under Linux (works under XP); usually end up writing them out by hand (good practice in these electronic text days). Is it just my system or does Sun not care about printing?

Oliverjames
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Print from OpenOffice

Post by Fornhamfred »

Hello Oliverjames

Have just tested your problem on my setup Elyssa Gnome printing to a Epson DX4850 on my network and have had no problem printing your text with a photo inserted in the document. Open Office is 2.4.

Have also tried envelopes and although more fiddly than our windows alternative I was as successful with 2.4 in mint as 3.0 on XP. No difference at all.

What versions are you running?
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Oliver,

I use OpenOffice every day for my correspondence and envelopes. I am using the current version in Mint 5 and have used OpenOffice for several years in Mint, openSUSE, Mandriva, and a few others. I can print just fine and dandy.

I have a Canon s750 using the Gutenprint simplified s630 driver. There were three choices for drivers listed in relation to the s630. There was nothing for the s750, so I picked something close, and it worked. Perhaps the problem with your printing might be in the printer / driver choice. That is the fist thing I would check or fiddle with. I hope your problem can be fixed with one simple adjustment. Good luck.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Thanks for your reassurance Guys. I'm using OOffice 2.4.1 in Mint and in WinXP . In both cases I can print text only with no problem but as soon as I inset a jpeg, gif or bitmap file into the text, I can only print the image, the text doesn't show.

I can solve the problem if I convert the format and open with an old version of Word. Alternatively I can pdf and then print.

I'm printing over the network to an HP Deskjet 970CXi. using the recommended hp driver. I'll try a Gutenprint driver if there is one for Linux but I don't think I've seen them for Windows.

The envelope issue only relates to Linux. I cannot find a way of configuring the layout so that the address appears in the right place.

Bit late for that tonight though, back tomorrow.

Oliverjames
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

All problems solved under Mint. No change under WinXP. Curious.
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Mind saying how you solved them under Mint?
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Apologies, I should has said resolved not solved in Mint. I simply reinstalled the latest OOffice package in the repo. I can now print docs with embedded pictures without problems. I still have a little glitch with envelopes but I'm sure that changing to a standard C5/6 size will do this. At the moment I have to offset the address slightly within its frame.

Not very scientific I know but the problem is partly resolved in Mint. Still the same hassle under Windows but then I can always use my old Word2000 software, which still works well under XP.
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

At least you can do what you need to do now. It was probably just a problem with the config. If it happens again try backing up the .config files to .config-bak or whatever and then deleting the originals. Open Office will recreate them on start and you can see if maybe a configuration got messed up along the way or something
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Thanks for the tip. I wish it was so easy in XP. It appears from a web search that a lot of people have a similar problem.
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Does open office have anything living in %appdata%?

If it does it probably stores its files in there for your configuration. You might be able to delete that and start again. Or at least see if thats the problem.

Back it up though :)

Return to “Software & Applications”