Xine\VLC locks up my Elyssa

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
reverend_nerd

Xine\VLC locks up my Elyssa

Post by reverend_nerd »

One day I'll be famous for just bringing problems and no solution to this forum.

I'm quite a newbie in Linux and I'm facing a multimedia problem.
And simply put: it all started with a MP3, a remix a friend of mine made and asked for my opinion.
Now, don't get me wrong, I know I should be using rhythmbox or quod libet to open the file, but as a matter of fact I went for the player that wasn't keeping any music library.
So, totem-xine it was. And I got the following result: the screen locked up, the whole Window Manager stopped, with the exception of the mouse. The music didn't play... and the keyboard freezes as well. I tried a couple of other files, all with the same result.

Trying the same MP3 inthe VLC player, it plays, but it sounds choppy. However the file plays well in my standard players (cited above).

The same thing happens when I try to play any DVD (but here the problem seems to have a widened effect, since the VLC also freezes like described above).
I have tried to reinstall totem, the xine plugins, VLC, installed gxine, all with the same result.

It's time I ask for help. Probably there are three different problems in this post, feel free to concentrate in only one. Give preference to the freezing, if you please. :D

Thanks again for any help!

Felipe Sentelhas,
a newbie trying to find its way
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Xine\VLC locks up my Elyssa

Post by Husse »

This is a type of problem that is generally very hard to solve remotely
We need to know more
Which version of Elyssa? (main kde xfce fluxbox)
Which hardware?
Run

Code: Select all

lspci > lspci.txt
and post the content of that file
reverend_nerd

Post by reverend_nerd »

Hi!

sorry, completely forgot to put on the important information...
My Elyssa is the Main distro...

and here is my lspci print:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
0a:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
0a:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
0a:09.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)
0a:09.3 SD Host controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is ordinary Intel graphics - nothing extra ordinary there
Which driver is used?
Check /etc/X11/xorg.conf
In Section Device (and with one monitor there's just one Section Device) what driver is indicated
It should be
Driver "intel" or possibly Driver "i810"
reverend_nerd

Post by reverend_nerd »

Hi once more,
How hard will you kick me all the way from Sweden if I tell you that everything there is in the Section "Device" of xorg.conf is:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

???
However, I did a "modprobe -l | grep i810" and got this:

/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-i810.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/drivers/video/i810/i810fb.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i810.ko

I know, I did updated the kernel, and this seems such a lousy idea now :roll: . Probably I'm all to blame on that one, should I go back to the original installation and stop meddling with things I don't understand? :lol:
No really, its just I'm curious with the new system.

Also I would like to thank you Husse for being so nice and helping with my problems here, I already learned a lot more about Linux thanks to your help! :)

Best regards!
Felipe Sentelhas
Husse

Post by Husse »

You can start with the old kernel - when the grub menu appears just select the old kernel
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
This is obviously what the new version of X does sometimes (always ?)
Add
Driver "intel"
or
Driver "i810"
to control which driver to load. Both are there by default

Return to “Sound”