is the difference between flavor more than just gui?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tawan

is the difference between flavor more than just gui?

Post by tawan »

I keep looking around at other linux flavours as i am relatively new to linux (6 months) and am curious about all the options.

the thing is that i never leave Mint Gnome.

wherever I look i see similarities and the main difference in flavours seems to be the windows manager or if they have codecs and other benefits. So here mint always wins.

If i get another distro and it too has gnome then what have i really got? some terminal commands may be different, some walpapers...

seems to me that trying KDM is a more radical step than trying another distro with gnome.

so far i like kdm and gnome but find gnome more useable for me and my (not so computer literate) wife.

-- please tell me if i have overlooked anything, why are there so many flavours? what am i missing?

did i just get very lucky finding Mint as my first distro? :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: is the difference between flavor more than just gui?

Post by msuggs »

phonicboom wrote: wherever I look i see similarities and the main difference in flavours seems to be the windows manager or if they have codecs and other benefits. So here mint always wins.
Luckily for you phonicboom, you came to the right distro first up :) Seriously though the main differences are just as you describe or they vary in the amount of command line and config file expertise you need to get things up and running. I'd suggest having a look at other distros and learning about how they do things differently. It will have a twofold benefit of reinforcing why Mint is a great distro and expand your knowledge of Linux in the process :)
tawan

Post by tawan »

cool, where to start though..?

i got fedora and i can't run it in virtual box as there is some kind of bug where it loads larger than my screen resolution so it's impossible to operate.

i looked at puppy and its simple but if i used it would spend lots of time trying to make it look nice and eventually just revert to mint.

i looked at open suse and thought, whats all the fuss about?

ubuntu, a lower form of mint and poo brown (sorry) again i would just try to make it look nice and eventually have an almost mint.

mint kde, nice, not as pretty as people say, easy to use, some cool stuff.. still exploring..

xubuntu, i got that on a recommendation of the xfce thing, now mint do that too i realise, but did not like it...

so mint gnome it is..... suggestions...? Arch? ..
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

I think if you want ease of use with minimal CLine usage then you're pretty much restricted to Mint, Ubuntu, OpenGEU, Suse or PCOSLinux. For OS junkies there are dozens of others to pick from, with varying degrees of complexity. If you just want an OS that works with no fuss then Mint seems to be the one.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

A lot of times, when I consider the distros I use and have used, for me it comes down to this: Linux is Linux. It seems harder and harder for me to see where one distro is simply better than all others. Each of my favorites has some very strong points. Mostly it seems like a matter of taste.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

phonicboom wrote:so mint gnome it is..... suggestions...? Arch? ..
I have a soft spot for Arch and it's great if you really want to know what's happening under the hood, so to speak. Overall I tend to agree MALsPa though. Linux is Linux and boils down to individual taste. Right now Mint suits my taste perfectly :)
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

First and foremost distributions differ in philosophy. While Arch's KISS philosophy may be fine for those who know what they're doing, or have some guts, Mint's overall aim will be more beneficial to newcomers. The great thing about Distro's designed for newbies is that generally you can still do advanced configurations and tweaking with them, so it's not like you lose anything.

The upgrade process is one thing that stands out to me (deb vs. rpm vs. source; and then the managers that fetch these packages). Nonetheless - many ways up a mountain, but in the end we all get there...at least for those with resolve.

Community is very important and I feel that the Mint forums house one of the best [if NOT the best :D ]. Even though I run Arch I still spend most of my time here helping out when I can. Mint is special.

Virtualbox is very useful for testing out the look and feel of disto's if you don't have a test machine. Regarding what else is out there, e17 still intrigues me, eLIVE was my first distro (switched to mint after a week or two :lol: ) so I imagine I'll revisit it once again. There are a variety of lightweight window managers like fluxbox, openbox, icewm, etc.

If you're happy with Mint then there's nothing wrong sticking with it.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

proxima_centauri wrote:If you're happy with Mint then there's nothing wrong sticking with it.
werd
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Yep, Linux is Linux. I will differ from most here though and suggest you stick with Mint for now. You have found a great distro that you like and are comfortable with. Just learn how to use it! The grass is always greener in the other distro's yard. Instead, why not install KDE and Xfce alongside Gnome. Then you can boot into these DEs with the same install. Learn how to use all of them, it doesnt matter if you think one is "better." You want to become competent with all of them. The more you "hate" it after installing it the better reason to use it and learn it! Then, go to the WM's such as Fluxbox, then WindowMaker and e17. These three are the common ones, but there are many more.

After you are comfortable and bored with Mint then you should look around. I strongly suggest another computer if you are a real distro junkie as a live CD/DVD will never run like an installed distro. Plus, the install is a major part of the flavor. Dual/multi booting is an option, but with new computers as cheap as they are you can easily find a five year old Dell or HP at a garage sale or flea market for a few bucks. VBox and Vmware are also good options. Your resolution problem can be sorted, you just have to adjust the res in the guest.

Everyone leaves out Fedora, and maybe with good reason. But one thing I can say is Fedora will teach you Linux in a short time. It is really an awesome distro, but you have to approach it for what it is. It is a test bed for the latest technology. Not really the latest version of apps as much as experimental stuff for the Linux core. It was the first with the new xorg, it has ran pulseaudio for a year now, packagekit is now standard, it will have the most modern kernel which updates very frequently...Things like these. It also has an active community, though the forum is a bit like the wild west. You either fit in and love it or they ride you out of town on a rail. The flip side is Fedora is prone to breakage with every update, which come in at the fastest pace imaginable. It is rather like Russian Roulette. The developers are also cut off from the users. This has become a huge problem lately. All in all though, unless it changes drastically in the near future, it is a must see for the distro hopper. Be sure to hit debian also, I consider it to be the "perfect" distro in the sense it is so vanilla. What basic Linux always was and always should be. Ubuntu? I dislike it, but I greatly respect it. They are doing great things over there, and good documentation and community. But it is just so...brown...I also recommend a stage 3 Gentoo install just for the experience. Back when I started using Linux a few years ago everyone was like, "ooh, Gentooo..." like it was some kind of Linux god. Though the general opinion is the distro is losing some of its appeal it is still a very tight OS. It has the best documentation going and is a very worthwhile experience, though you have to be a sadomachoist to use it. Likewise, Slack and Arch should be sampled.

Yeah, there are a lot of flavors in the counter, but it is all Linux. Mint is a good one, after all, who doesnt like Mint? :D
Algus

Post by Algus »

MALsPa wrote:A lot of times, when I consider the distros I use and have used, for me it comes down to this: Linux is Linux. It seems harder and harder for me to see where one distro is simply better than all others. Each of my favorites has some very strong points. Mostly it seems like a matter of taste.
Truer words were never spoken. Linux is really sort of this collosal beast for the newbie. There are so many different distros and so many things about it that it is really hard to figure out where or how to start. How do I pick a distro? How do I pick a GUI? Where do I begin?

But once you do get started down that road and play with some of the different distros, you end up realizing just how much they have in common. Then you realize the approach is to just find the distro that you're comfortable with, while knowing that plenty of other distros out there do the same thing.

A large part of the reason as to why I settled on Mint after looking at Ubuntu, OpenGEU (a distro that I simply adore), and several others is that, in the end, I liked the styling and look of the interface. Plus it has a great number of features that I really appreciate. It might sort of get away from some of the precepts of "core" Linux or more "hardcore" distributions like Gentoo but I admire the fact that it is incredibly easy to install and works flawlessly out of the box.

I think its great that Gentoo and the like exists but to me Linux shouldn't be about making some obtuse platform that only computer engineers can use and that's what's great about Linux it offers room for both distros like Gentoo and distros like Mint.

Return to “Chat about Linux”